Talk

Advanced search

Full Time MA is it possible?!

(8 Posts)
mummyjen Fri 12-Aug-05 10:32:35

Hi, I dont have a child yet but I am thinking due to circumstance and also time that i may get pregnant at the start of an MA in Social Work that Leeds Local Authority pay you to do, any ideas how that might be anyone? Am I stupid should I put it off? What will it be like if I am trying to look after a new born and doing a disseretation? Any one tried it?

MrsDoolittle Fri 12-Aug-05 10:35:28

Very stupid. I'm doing that. Seemed like a great idea at the time, if I could change it I would, I fed up of it. I'm pregnant again and I want to concentrate on my children and I hate this dissertation hanging over my head.

And dh doesn't understand. He's been really, really supportive but he doesn't undrestand the work/children conflict. How can I expect him to?

Windermere Fri 12-Aug-05 11:07:47

I started a course when ds was 5 months old as at that time he would sleep a lot and was quite an easy baby. 6 months down the line I gave it up there was no way I could manage it. The assignments required a lot of research and concentration I was continuing to study whilst ds had naps but the naps were getting shorter. I was doing no housework was completely knackered and was sending ds off with dh at the weekend which did not bode well for family life.

It seems like a good idea when you are on maternity leave but in practice it is really hard. I would leave it until your child is over a year then you will have a good idea of how much spare time you actually do have.

mummyjen Fri 12-Aug-05 11:54:28

Thank you! I think?! I guess when you dont have a child then it seems like anything is possible, I just dont want to miss out on the chance of getting paid to do the MA (its very rare and may not be offered in years to come) and miss out on my child growing up!

Nightynight Fri 12-Aug-05 12:15:22

can you do it part time on the OU?

mummyjen Fri 12-Aug-05 13:05:24

That might be an idea but the reason I want to do it through the local authority is that they pay you a full wage and then garuntee you work for 3 years. Not sure how the work placements work out with the OU?

mummyjen Fri 12-Aug-05 13:05:24

That might be an idea but the reason I want to do it through the local authority is that they pay you a full wage and then garuntee you work for 3 years. Not sure how the work placements work out with the OU?

kama Fri 12-Aug-05 13:41:34

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: