Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else starting in September?

(48 Posts)
PeachyClair Fri 05-Aug-05 10:08:37

All systems ready to go here! Student finance confirmation arrived today, passed esams last week, childcare in place... go, go go!!

I will be studying at Newport (Caerleon), Religion and Philosophy.

babysteffee Fri 05-Aug-05 16:59:22

Yeah, though not as organised lol. Not got finance notification yet and only applied right on the deadline. Planning on moving soon too so hope it doesn't get lost somewhere.

Good luck! Religion and philosophy are both very interesting subjects!!

PeachyClair Fri 05-Aug-05 17:30:55

What will you be studying?

I had to move, it was easy to organise the swap over though. We moved in June, wanted to get kids settled ASAP and found the perfect house to rent so went for it.

Should be an interesting subject I think, demanding academically too though! Lots of food I believe though: apparently all the diffrent religious groups invite us to celebrate and eat with them. Yum!

sallystrawberry Fri 05-Aug-05 17:39:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kama Fri 05-Aug-05 17:48:07

Message withdrawn

weesaidie Fri 05-Aug-05 17:56:35

I am starting September too - Journalism!

Most of my finance is sorted and nearly have a nursery... bit annoyed today when I phoned one and the woman got very interrogational over the fact that I was a student and what would I do over the holidays! Grrr, I don't know, don't you have some advice or a policy, I am not apologising for being a student and a parent!

However I did visit one yesterday that seemed lovely and were helpful about the student thing.

Cannot wait!

babysteffee Fri 05-Aug-05 18:28:13

I'm doing Psychology. I started Radiography last year but it was very intensive and 2 hrs travelling each way so I never saw my kids and left after a month. I'm doing Psychology now and hoping it will only be 3-4 days a week to cut childcare costs down and be able to pick up eldest from school.

The religious celebrations sound great, I wanna do a course like that really, but worried I might hate it as it's a 'love it or hate it' type I've always thought.

PeachyClair Fri 05-Aug-05 19:10:27

journalism sounds good, but I'm not pushy enough!

Acca exams in December? You ARE brave! So soon!

Sally, info from course already? I wish mine would, make me feel something was happening with them!

I think Religion will be interesting, don't know what to pick as my 'option' though, Steffee, do you get options, voz a religion one would go well with Psychology, esp in this day and age!

Childcare costs are a PIAn aren't they? I found a good childminder in the end, coz all nurseries round here are 8 - 6, too long for my 2 year old (and for me)

PeachyClair Fri 05-Aug-05 19:10:28

journalism sounds good, but I'm not pushy enough!

Acca exams in December? You ARE brave! So soon!

Sally, info from course already? I wish mine would, make me feel something was happening with them!

I think Religion will be interesting, don't know what to pick as my 'option' though, Steffee, do you get options, voz a religion one would go well with Psychology, esp in this day and age!

Childcare costs are a PIAn aren't they? I found a good childminder in the end, coz all nurseries round here are 8 - 6, too long for my 2 year old (and for me)

weesaidie Fri 05-Aug-05 19:58:56

Ha! I can be pushy but I am hoping to be involved on a less obvious level!

I'd like a childminder but I want to get it organised soon and I don't think a childminder would take my dd on two months notice (in case they got a better offer!)....

Nice to hear we can do other things apart from being mums!

PeachyClair Sat 06-Aug-05 11:47:50

They might take them on notice you know, they get a lot of summer hol booking!

When does everyone start? 29th for me, leaving it as late as poss are they??

weesaidie Sat 06-Aug-05 12:40:37

I start Sept 27th, been waiting for so long!

babysteffee Sat 06-Aug-05 12:54:43

I get options and will probably choose something in religion, or definitely philosphy which is so interesting since I read Sophie's World!! I think everything is interesting though, that's the trouble. I love maths and physics and only not doing them 'cause dh says I won't get a job out of it when in reality they're probably preferable to yet another psychology graduate.

Ooops, where did that rant come from? lol

Also I haven't a clue when this course starts, I've had nothing but last year I started on 20th Sept. so think it will be the week after... and isn't it the better the uni, the later the start date?

babysteffee Sat 06-Aug-05 12:58:48

What type of nursing are you doing ss? My sis is doing mental health and loves it!

babysteffee Sat 06-Aug-05 13:02:46

I'd be absolutely hopeless at Journalism. I remember trying to write a newspaper article in A level English and I just couldn't do that type of writing. I ramble too much and can't get to the point (as shown here lol) and never know what to miss out and what to include etc. The same with poetry. Whoever can write reports or poems gets respect from me!!

weesaidie Sat 06-Aug-05 13:04:39

Well I think I might get a little help, my dad is a journalist so I'll just have to get him to proof read all my articles!

[evil laugh]

shorty3 Sat 06-Aug-05 13:19:57

I've been doing aat, but think i failed miserably in my June exams ( 13th & 15th - baby came on 29th ) - due to working, trying to get house ready (just moved in October - the house was a right mess! ) for baby and may need to retake. Not sure whether to start again this year plus I will have to pay myself if i've failed.

babysteffee Sat 06-Aug-05 13:32:37

Awww I hope you passed!! Fingers crosses.

lol, ws, that sounds a good idea!!

weesaidie Sat 06-Aug-05 13:36:44

ha ha, I was sure the old man would come in handy one day!

Hope you have passed shorty3! Can't believe you have to pay, what a pain in the a$$e!

shorty3 Sat 06-Aug-05 13:45:07

Thank you!! I will find out on Aug 17th.

Work pay normally but if you do retakes you have to stump up yourself.

DH keeps saying 'Don't know what your worried about - you know you failed'!!

Hoping I've passed at least one exam then it wasn't all in vain.

weesaidie Sat 06-Aug-05 13:54:30

Well fingers crossed it will be fine! And in the end if you have to retake you have to retake!

Lol at your dh.

PeachyClair Sat 06-Aug-05 19:06:11

The better the Uni the later the start date? That makes sense, for some strange reason I turned down a place at Bristol (?) and they start October 10th

Where is everyone else going?

Good luck Shorty0! Fingers crossed!

Hmm, Journalism would have been great, I had a few articles published years ago but it's like my cardmaking- I can do it fine but I am too chicken to sell any of it!

babysteffee Sat 06-Aug-05 19:13:35

I know what you mean, I turned down a place at Warwick to go to Coventry. I really have no idea why!!

PeachyClair Sat 06-Aug-05 19:17:41

Weird aren't we???

I think it was coz it's nicer area to raise kids here (semi rural), and living costs are cheaper, but lots of people on my course last year turned down Bristol / Exeter in favour of 'lesser' institutions: one chap fought it out with assessed essays etc to get a particular place oversubscriped by 1500, then turned it down for Bath Spa!!

I guess it's good knowing we got the places though, huh? I still have the letter from Bristol!

babysteffee Sat 06-Aug-05 19:22:57

Yeah, you're right, it is good to know we got into "good" universities. I got unconditionals for both and Warwick is a much more respected uni but it's a little further to travel and I think I subconsciously thought there wouldn't be many 'mature' students there or something lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now