Advanced search

Other qualifications to get into nursing/midwifery??

(13 Posts)
goldiilocks Fri 24-Jun-05 15:46:24

Hi guys, i want to return to study and thinking of nursing/midwifery, are there any other qualifications they take into account other than gcse?
I was thinking of doing an OU course , but dont know where to start!!!

starlover Fri 24-Jun-05 15:48:26

you can't do nursing or midwifery OU. you will need a-levels for midwifery (not sure about nursing)... if you don't have a-levels you can do an access course

fastasleep Fri 24-Jun-05 15:50:55

You need A levels/access course for nursing too you don't need GCSE's for the access course, although they will test your basic literacy and numeracy, it lasts a year.

goldiilocks Fri 24-Jun-05 16:29:42

Thanks for the advice. Is there any course on the ou which would be the equivilant to the courses you have said??

starlover Fri 24-Jun-05 16:36:17

hmm don't think they do it as an OU course. i did mine as an evening course at our local college. 2 nights a week

goldiilocks Sat 25-Jun-05 10:07:22

Hmmn! I just have no one to look after kiddies, and not a lot of money for childcare. What about these degree courses the ou do, i understand you can get into nurse training throu a degree?

starlover Sat 25-Jun-05 10:11:36

yeah you can.. but it's split between campus and placement in a hospital.

starlover Sat 25-Jun-05 10:12:07

you would be entitled to an nhs bursary if you do a diploma course, and you would get extra for childcare costs. you may find local universities have a creche too

Smurfgirl Sun 26-Jun-05 17:11:02

You can get into nursing with an NVQ3 in care.

If you can't get childcare for an access course you may struggle with the demands of the very time instensive nursing diploma/degree. It requires you to work shifts etc...

The OU does do health and social care courses which may be suitable for access to nursing. But an access course at college is probably your best bet.

gigglinggoblin Sun 26-Jun-05 18:08:43

no idea about the nursing goldilocks, but i did access course and am part way through degree. got help for childcare costs from college during access course and lea while at uni. if thats what you are worried about, check out what funding you can get cos i was surprised to find i was better off at college than i was on income support. you will probably find it easier studying at a college/uni than on your own for ou.

PeachyClair Thu 30-Jun-05 13:11:14


I have just done an access course at Bridgwater college

Childcare fees covered by Access Fund from college, study in school hours also available part time

hope that helps!

goldiilocks Fri 01-Jul-05 17:36:07

Just been down to the college, i have enrolled on 2 gcse courses. English language and phsiology and health studies! I have got lil one into the college nursery, and have got help with all my fees as im recieving housing benefit!!
very excited, cant wait to get started! Ok so may take a bit longer to get my qualifications up to scratch, but who cares!! xx

starlover Fri 01-Jul-05 17:48:35

oh that's great! good on you!
i hope you enjoy the courses and end up with a great job"
well done!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: