Talk

Advanced search

prolapse... etc....

(8 Posts)
oatcake Wed 22-Jun-05 18:00:21

some of you might remember that I was asking about your knowledge of lotus births a few months ago (ie. when the placenta and cord are left attached to the baby until they drop off naturally). Well, my friend who wanted to practice this gave birth to a fine girl on monday morning. I watched in awe, it was beautiful

She had an independent midwife who was... not my cup of tea but friend had a a good relationship with her.

Anyway, girl born at 0902. Around 4.30pm, friend gets up for a wee and calls me to the bathroom to check what's hanging out of her and it's something that as a student midwife I had not seen before but I guessed it was a prolapse of the vaginal wall.

I called the midwife who said to put her back to bed and she'd call in the morning after telling me that it wasn't a prolapse as a prolapse bleeds and friend just had the normal post-birth bleeding. Unhappy with this response, I called my training hospital and one of the midwives who knows me, confirmed my suspicion that anything that shouldn't be outside of the body was a prolapse and it might bleed or it might not. She talked me through pushing it back inside friend (with her consent of course!), and advised rest, also saying that if I wasn't happy with anything then I should get the midwife out, no ifs buts or maybes.

I was very unhappy as I went to be a support to my friend, not as an unqualified midwife.

And I know midwives have their own practices and preferences, but some things she did, were not in line with what I'm currently being taught, such as fetal monitoring during birth - in the hospital we're meant to listen to the fetal heart after every contraction, and record accordingly. She listened in twice (although I really hate listening in after every contraction as it does disturb the mum....) and, when she went down to write her notes, she left the baby in the wet, cold towel she rubbed her off in! A huge no no!

The midwife didn't undertake a babycheck, as I assume it's policy in that area to get the doctor out on the same day to check babies. The baby hadn't fed since birth so by 4pm I took her temperature as she was very sleepy and completely disinterested in the breast (I know that some babies are like this, but she was also totally uncovered as well) her temp was 36.3 and when I mention this to the midwife when I called re the prolapse, I was sharply told "I never take babies temperatures. She's warm. She's pink. She's got skin to skin contact. She's fine" HELLO! The midwife left hours before so how did she know she was in the same condition???

Finally, midwife came the morning after, as promised and decided to stitch friend up, having told her that the birth had torn her labia. Errr, does anyone else know of internal labia????

I don't think I'll ever tell my friend my concerns but I'm certainly going to type it up for my own interest.

Just wanted to rant as I really should not have been put in the position of putting my poor friend's insides, back inside!

CarolinaMoon Thu 23-Jun-05 17:55:44

Just wanted to say, as a lay person, your friend's experience sounds really a bit alarming. Lucky for her you were there to ask the right questions though. Has anyone else (GP or community MW) checked out the prolapse since?

I remember seeing the lotus birth thread - is your mate doing that after all?

oatcake Thu 23-Jun-05 20:15:21

as of yesterday morning...

the placenta is starting to "hum", but the cord is looking well on the way to detaching.

no-one else has been to check the prolapse and I don't feel in the position to slag off my friend's midwife who she trusted and might consider again for any future births...

we revisited suturing today at uni and it's obvious that my friend has not been given the full story about her vagina.

I didn't do anything to stand up for my friend cos although I'm almost a senior student, it's still very difficult to question a professional with so many years experience.

Grrr.

CarolinaMoon Fri 24-Jun-05 08:18:48

but you got the MW back out to look at it . Nothing else you can really do, as you say - wd just make your mate narky.

bet it does hum in this heat...

oatcake Mon 27-Jun-05 09:56:34

saw mate yesterday and she's made artwork out of the membranes (spread them across an oval canvas and I must say, it looks quite lovely...)

She's steamed the remaining placenta before chopping it up and leaving it in a warm oven overnight and now she's going to send it to a homeopath to have made into homeopathic pills as she will not be having the baby vaccinated.

Oh, and she cut the cord (with pliers as it was pulling a bit on baby's navel every time she kicked) rather than wait for it to fall off so it so she didn't have to put up with the humming for too long...

mears Mon 27-Jun-05 10:42:50

WOW - that is some story Oatcake

If your friend had a lond second stage (is it first baby?) she might have a degree of prolapse that will correct itself. TBH, pushing it back in may not be that helpful as it will come back out again, however it will have done no harm. You friend needs to do pelvic floor exercises to strengthen muscle. Not sure of stitching day after delivery - should have been done at time if needed. However, it may have been part vaginal wall needing stitched and that is what has been replaced. The lateral vaginal wall borders onto internal labia so maybe that was what was hanging out.

Have concern about friend cutting cord with pliers - hope they were sterile. Cord infection could ensue.

Unfortunately oatcake your friend has made her choice regarding caregiver. Other than voicing your concerns to her there is very little you can do. Advise her to see GP if any concerns over stitching or baby.

CarolinaMoon, Community midwife will not visit as Oatcake's friend had hired IM and therefore will receive her care from her.
Is baby feeding now BTW?

oatcake Mon 27-Jun-05 10:51:48

feeding very well.

they used pliers because, at this point, the cord was extremely tough!

yes, the midwife should have come out when I called her! but I've made my decision, like you say, it's her choice of caregiver and I'm never going to tell her my concerns!

It is her first baby and I really don't know when the second stage began as her behaviour didn't really change as obviously as many women, and she was fully by the time she got out of the pool and went upstairs to birth. This was her only examination.

it was a fantastic experience though, and might be the only home birth I get to see before qualifying.

mears Mon 27-Jun-05 10:54:19

I can understand why you might not want to upset her. You can be available to advise her to see GP if there are any other problems, detailing your concerns then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now