Talk

Advanced search

studying for some kind of a degree, but which one of these?

(7 Posts)
Chyla Wed 15-Jun-05 13:15:41

I am hoping to get a last minute place on a degree course at uni for this sept but i'm stuck between three possibilities of subject, which are;
1. Primary Education
2. Information Technology Education
3. Midwifery

If anyone studies one of the above and could give me more info of the course content and whether it is enjoyable, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

snafu Thu 23-Jun-05 11:12:07

Hi Chyla. That's quite a range of subjects. What has made you choose those particular courses? What qualifications do you have at present? Where are you thinking of applying to? Have you read any prospectuses/researched the courses? Lots of questions, I know, but your answers would help people to advise you better.

(And you should probably be aware that there isn't really any such thing as 'a last minute place' for midwifery. The course is massively over-subscribed and very difficult to get onto even for those who apply 'on time' )

lucy5 Thu 23-Jun-05 11:15:40

It will be much the same for promary b ed, not impossible but difficult to find a place. All these couses will have different requirements, so it might be worth checking websites to see if you qualify.

livvysmum Sun 26-Jun-05 19:36:51

all these subjects are vastly different. seems you don't have a clear direction. no point in taking a course just for the sake of it, even if you did get in. think you need to relax and decide what it is you'd like to do, i mean a university course is a huge commitment.

good luck with what ever you choose, perhaps talking to some one in a career guidance proffession could help -learndirect/ connexions (they help adults too).

PeachyClair Thu 30-Jun-05 13:08:17

Maybe you should take the IT, because you can add a primary PGCE to that, but a B Ed is a B Ed...

I'm doing much the same with my religion degree, I am 99% sure I want to teach, but I can keep my options open this way, PGCE if I need to...

Learned that the hard way after studying nursing for 18 months before realising I hated it!

PeachyClair Thu 30-Jun-05 13:09:42

Oh but if you're considering the B Ed seriously, Newport Uni had an ad in our local paper for the course as it isn't full. the campus is in Caerleon, a lovely place with kids. I know, that's why I am here!!

matthewsmummy Tue 19-Jul-05 17:44:05

they are all quite different, it would depend on what age of children you want to be involeved with really and if your a midwife it is also alot of work with the mums to

i think being a teacher would be good, if your a patient person who likes children up to the age of 8 then its a good start, but being a teacher is alot of hard work. there is lots of paper work behind the classroom stuff, like reports and planning lessons, everything has to be recored and filed. it is a very rewarding job though too as i think any job with children would be.

i think being a midwife is also a good choice, but only if you like babies and pregnant women coz if not then that could be a bad start. also you have to be able to take blood, do internal exsaminations, give injections to tiny little babies, insert catherters so if you screamish person i wouldn't advise it but if your ok with all those things then it could be a good career for you. the hrs you will have to work is a down side though and there is also lots of paper work (but i surpose thats the same with most jobs)

i don't do any of these courses but i think both will be enjoyable, but lots of hard work. but as long as your perpered for that and decide which one you'd rather do then go for it (if you can get a place that is)

good luck in whatever you chose to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now