Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whose doing OU courses and which course ??

(21 Posts)
nutcracker Tue 14-Jun-05 12:48:02

Have just been looking at the site and can see a couple of starter courses that interest me but then it all seems to become very complicated after level 1.

Would any of the courses actually lead to a job ???

nutcracker Tue 14-Jun-05 13:27:56

bump

beansmum Tue 14-Jun-05 13:30:59

I'm registered for an english language and lit degree with the OU, starting in october with A103.

what type of courses were you looking at? I think any extra qualifications you get can only help when it comes to looking for a job, and the OU is very well respected by employers.

lilibet Tue 14-Jun-05 13:31:35

Hi
I'm just finishing A103 as is Horseshoe. I've done it to prove that I can rather than to get a job at the end of it. Isn't there a careers bit on the website?

nutcracker Tue 14-Jun-05 13:34:39

Ah ha I knew there were some of you doing it.

It is children/health/developement/psychology that i'm interested but some of the courses require placements in school which I can't do yet as ds doesn't start nursery until Jan 06.

I find their website really complicated tbh, maybe it's just me though.

nutcracker Tue 14-Jun-05 13:35:44

I didn't know yoo could do an English lang and lit degree with OU beansmum.

I would be interested in that but would have to start from the most basic course.

beansmum Tue 14-Jun-05 13:38:03

that's what I'm doing, A103 is the introduction course. It's the starting point for loads of different degrees as it covers all the humanities, english, history, music etc.

lilibet Tue 14-Jun-05 13:41:26

I would recommend starting with one of the introductory courses - I did the Living Arts one - for a start they're cheap and they also give you a taster.

Beansmum - offer of help still open once you start your course!

I'm just aiming for a general Humanities degree - going to take whichever courses take my fancy.

Am doing two short courses next - one on da Vinci and one on Shakespeare before I start the Level 2 Introduction to Literature in February.

nutcracker Tue 14-Jun-05 13:41:57

Ahh right, will go and have another look now, thanks.

beansmum Tue 14-Jun-05 13:43:27

I'm getting so excited about it! have got all the books and can't wait to finish this stupid maths degree so I can get reading! only a week to go (plus resits!)

lilibet Tue 14-Jun-05 13:46:53

have a look here

edders Tue 14-Jun-05 22:15:21

Hello, I am new to this website so bear with me. I am studying DD121 (O/U social science) and have completed DD120. Can anyone help me on the assignments, particularily TMA02?

TwinSetAndPearls Tue 14-Jun-05 23:04:50

I did DD100 a few years ago and would be willing to help if I can.

Stargazer Tue 14-Jun-05 23:31:42

Hi Nutcracker

Depends what you want to do. I've been studying with the OU since 2003 - am following the molecular science degree course and at the end of it I want to do a PGCE and then teach - so I hope it leads to a new career!! At the moment a fulltime SAHM and loving it, but looking forward to returning to paid employment when the kids are a bit older. Still all the above is subject to change - who knows I might think of something different to do with the degree.

Seriously though, it should certainly show any prospective employers that you can plan (very carefully), juggle loads of competing deadlines, study under sometimes trying conditions, run a house and look after a family, etc, etc.

If the website's a bit complictated then call one of the contact numbers and talk to one of the advisers. They are extremely helpful.

I've known lots of people change jobs/directions after and during study with the OU. Hope you find what you want. Good luck. Study with the OU can be hard work, but it's worth it and it does keep the brain ticking over. Besides I can confuse DS with chemistry!!! And that's worth lots

Skribble Tue 14-Jun-05 23:48:37

Just had a look at the website and would love to get started with something, should do business related stuff but fancy geology or geography .

Stargazer Wed 15-Jun-05 07:07:12

Hi Skribble

Just a thought - I know that people feel they "ought" to do business type things, but unless you really want to do it - go for something that interests you. The reason is simply that you're going to be far more motivated to do something that interests you and you want to study, than something you "ought" to study. Sometimes it's the only reason that I keep on going - especially when I hit a wall

TwinSetAndPearls Wed 15-Jun-05 09:22:24

Nutcracker, can't add much that stargazer hasn't said. i think employers do recognise the fact that OU students have had to juggle several balls at once and have had to complete a degree because they really want to study that subject or work in a particular field not just because they are 19 and want to leave home but don't want a job.

I was advised that with an OU degree the only areas that might be closed to you are teaching in certain redbrick universities or working for the odd blue chip company.

I am working towards a psychology degree which has BPS recognition so I should be able to get work in the area I want, and if I don't that will be down to me not the OU.

Many people who study with the OU then go on to become OU tutors, I am looking at doing some OU tutoring using my first degree, the pay sn't great - only about £6000 a year but it is very part time and a way for me to have a look at another side of education.

I think the OU has been one of my better decisions, it has rebuilt my cofidence, opened up new doors for me and enabled me to keep my drive and ambition alive while being at home with dd.

Skribble Wed 15-Jun-05 21:19:35

Thanks stargazer I just feel I should invest the money in studying something that will help my business.

horseshoe Mon 20-Jun-05 13:32:03

Yey,

More OU students,

lilibet!! How did you go on TMA09????

I got TMA08 back and did really well so was so happy.

I am now doing U210 and A120 in Oct.

We'll be picking out our awards outfits before you know it.

lilibet Tue 21-Jun-05 16:02:10

woo hoooo!!!!!!

finished!!!!!!!!

I got 08 done at 2am on Saturday morning!

What is A120?

I'm doing A177 and A178 next, which will last me until February then it's either Intorducing Literature or Art and Its Histories, not sure which yet.

I did look at The Englsih language on, let me know how it is and it might make it back on my shortlist.

Someone else did that one here

Tinker Tue 21-Jun-05 16:08:59

I did U210 a few years ago. Enjoyed it but wish I'd been able to devote more time to it and have gone to the tutorials

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now