Talk

Advanced search

career change.....dare I?.....

(13 Posts)
shallishanti Fri 23-Oct-09 17:41:20

OK am working in education (not in the classroom) I enjoy my work but it's not v secure, being in the voluntary sector. Have always wanted to be a midwife, used to work for NCT as antenatal teacher. My youngest is settled at secondary school...I am 50, it feels a bit like now or never...there is a uni fairly local, and as I understand it I would at least get my fees paid.
thoughts please?

piscesmoon Fri 23-Oct-09 19:26:45

Go for it! You will always regret that you didn't give it a try.

shallishanti Fri 23-Oct-09 20:37:58

that's what I think...but it's a big step. And would it be any more secure? what are career prospects for midwives?

Monstermomi Fri 23-Oct-09 20:42:00

do it. You want to do it, please do! we only have one shot. I'm in my early 40s and have no clue what I want to do with my life on the career front so if you have a direction, follow it.

shallishanti Fri 23-Oct-09 20:43:02

it means 3 yrs on only one income, is that fair on my family?

Monstermomi Fri 23-Oct-09 21:23:37

depends on the income. I've gone down the salary ladder in the past 4 years but it was because of going part time as I've had 3 children since. sometimes I regret the decisions I've made on my career as it means I don't make as much money as I believe I should.however, I've spent more time with my children. you should list pros and cons. have you spoken about it with your family?

shallishanti Fri 23-Oct-09 21:32:30

only with dp.
3 of dcs are, technically, adults, and I imagine I'd be spending less not more time with the youngest, not that he would be too concerned I think.
thanks for your input, have to go now, but all feedback welcome, (esp from student midwives!) smile
will check in later

DougalDoneGood Wed 28-Oct-09 08:22:14

Go for it!
If you can afford the drop in income and it's something you're passionate about then you should definitely go for it. Obviously the drop in income is a concern, but looking at the bigger picture, your family will benefit in other ways from you doing something you really want to do. And it's only three years and then you'll be earning again. Like you've said, your fees will be paid, and your DP will pay reduced rate council tax. Some uni's still offer the diploma programme (although not many as it's being phased out) which pays a bursary of approx £6k a year.

The job situation for midwives is pretty dire at the moment but there are still jobs around....and who can say if things will change over the next three years. You'd have the option of practising independantly too.

At 50 you're not too old (the average age of a newly qualified midwife is 41) but I wouldn't hang around too long. Do it!

shallishanti Thu 29-Oct-09 14:40:41

went to open day yesterday and they were very encouraging....am now sitting here flicking between UCAS and MN!
interesting abiut the average age, I'm surprised it's as old as that!
they told me at uni that most of their students 'end up' with a job.
Is this something you've done, DDG?

DougalDoneGood Fri 30-Oct-09 16:05:07

I started but didn't finish. I'm planning on going back when the time is right.

Good luck

Anifrangapani Fri 30-Oct-09 16:06:38

Go for it - I have just applied for a work placement for 2 years.... I am on tenterhooks to see if I get in

EccentricaGallumbats Fri 30-Oct-09 16:07:17

Go for it. It's bloody hard work but mostly worth it.

shallishanti Sat 31-Oct-09 14:13:48

OK
have started my application...
tis v exciting but nerve racking, and that's just doing the application. Am thinking, I'll get on with that while still thinking about it, as if I don't, time will slip by and I'll be too late for next yr.
Still welcome hearing other's experiences. How come you didn't finish, DDG, if that's not being too nosey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now