Talk

Advanced search

Kick in the bum needed to start the TMA.PLEASE.

(8 Posts)
winnybella Wed 21-Oct-09 20:46:20

Before the course started, I've read all the set books, coursebook etc and just couldn't wait to write the first assignment..Fast forward to now and my TMA is due in a week, I made some notes a while ago and spent last two weeks watching movies every night.
DP went to pub to watch Champions League, so have time and laptop to myself, but am mumsnetting instead.
TMA is an analysis of a passage in Pride and Prejudice. Love the book, read it about ten times, but can't get started on this essay...experiencing massive doubts as to whether I'm able to do it at all...
So I need some kind souls to give me a kick up my lazy backside.
Thank you.

kitkat9 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:40:35

are you doing Approaching Literature? I did that last year.

I'm doing Children's Literature this time and my first TMA is due next week too...have kind of started it and am also meant to be working on it right now but cannot be arsed...

Anyway, I'll kick your bum if you'll kick mine!

Start with your essay plan. At least write something down, even if it's only your name at the top of the page...!

Molesworth Wed 21-Oct-09 22:12:15

You're not being lazy - I think almost everyone does this when it's time to actually start writing and I think (well, for me at least) it comes down to anxiety about doing a job of it. As kitkat says, just get started. Tell yourself you'll do 10 or 20 minutes (set a timer if necessary) and just brainstorm. And give yourself a reward at the end of it. You totally have my sympathy: getting that first draft written is HORRIBLE shock

Molesworth Wed 21-Oct-09 22:12:54

that should say "doing a good job of it" <brain dead after submitting my first TMA today> grin

winnybella Wed 21-Oct-09 22:33:57

Awww....you guys are lovely, thank you so much. I actually DID start it an hour ago and am at 379 words...621 to go...
Yes, it's Approaching Literature.It's been ages since my brain was required to do any serious thinking and am having a recurrent nightmare of the essay being returned with a big 'not up to university's standard' scrawled in red across it.
Also I find differentiating between various narrative devices a bit difficult...and English isn't my mother tongue. Aarrgh.
Please, keep the encouragement coming!
Big kick to kitkat9's bum!

sunnylabsmum Thu 22-Oct-09 05:45:58

hope its going ok. I remember my tutor once telling me that 'there is always a good reason NOT to write an assignment'. How true.Tasks like relabelling drawers/jars suddenly become must do's once an assignment is approaching. I second the advice to set yourself time limits and rewards to get going

MissGreatBritain Fri 23-Oct-09 20:26:55

Well done for starting it! I started mine today as I don't think I'll be able to get much done while the children are on half term. I've done A210 as well, and thought it was fab. Really loved Trifles and the Yellow Wallpaper (dont' know if you'll have got that far yet). Pride & Prejudice is great though.

KitKat - which book are you doing? I'm doing Little Red Riding Hood and have got about 1000 words done so far. Only another 1000 to go. And the bibliography....

winnybella Fri 23-Oct-09 22:49:37

Children's Literature is what I was thinking of doing next year!Do you enjoy it?
As for my essay, I finished it, then found Genette and am about to rewrite it all...I find OU chats a bit confusing as everyone has a different opinion (fair enough) and just not very productive.
Bright side is that I'm stressing so much that I've lost some weight in the last few days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now