Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done more than one degree and know about finances?

(13 Posts)
Haylstones Fri 09-Oct-09 20:09:12

Has anyone done more than one degree and offer me some advice please?
I did a BA 10 years ago and got a fee grant and student loan. I've now just started another one in a different subject but because it is a level equal to a previous qualification I'm not entitled to any Govt funding or loans. I accept this but I was told that the amount I have to pay for the course (£3225 p.a.) isn't the full cost as that the university has to fund part of it and the Govt also makes a contribution; as I already have a BA I may have to pay more on top.

I've emailed student finance but they won't relpy until Monday so I wanted to get some other advice before then if possible.

I am finally doing my dream course but if we have to pay more than the fees we thought then I'll have to quit- after 3 weeks!

reikizen Sat 10-Oct-09 13:46:32

I did a second degree which attracted an NHS bursary and the fees paid so I can't comment on that but I did qualify for a student loan whilst studying. Hope that helps.

Haylstones Sat 10-Oct-09 18:29:32

I forgot I'd started this thread- thanks Reikizen.

Have spoken to SLC twice now and each time been told I'm not eligible for any grant or loan so I need to clarify everything asap.

CAn anyone else advice? TIA

TotallyUnheardOf Sat 10-Oct-09 18:40:35

HEFCE (the Higher Education Funding Council for England - are you in England? It might be different in Wales or Scotland...) stopped funding what it calls ELQ (equivalent or lower qualifications) in 2008-09. There is a lot of info on this on their website, though it's aimed at institutions rather than individual students. It explains the context quite well though.

A quick google search suggests that different institutions are going to charge different fees to students studying for ELQs, so you really need to see what your own institution says. Try googling ELQ from your university's homepage.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your course.

scottishmummy Sat 10-Oct-09 18:55:00

i self funded another undergraduate degree after my initial degree, and no funding available.but i did pay instalments,term by term so not all up front payment

BigHairyLeggedSpider Sat 10-Oct-09 19:01:11

Funding for second degrees (not NHS or Teaching) was removed a few years ago. I had to turn down a place on a course I'd worked hard to get on because I couldn't fund it myself. I graduated in 1998 and I'm gutted that it's really really hard to take your career in a different direction to that you'd decided on when you were 18!

I don't know what to suggest but if you get any answers post them here as I'm still pulling my hair out over this.

I'm considering part time or an OU course now but neither are ideal.

Are you eligible for a career development loan? I'm not, but the lovely course tutor I spoke to said that's what other people have done in the past.

Peabody Sat 10-Oct-09 19:03:33

I too have struggled to get any information on this. Each institution is making its own decision on what to charge students like this - the cost will be somewhere between what first degree students pay and what international students pay, but unfortunately only the actual institution can tell you what they have decided.

Haylstones Sat 10-Oct-09 20:49:13

Thanks all. I guess I'll have to wait until they get back to me on Monday. It's frustrating, the degree I did at 17 was totally useless and I now know at age 30 what I want to do!
I'll post back when I get a reply- hopefully in the positive as I've just spent 3 days studying non stop and I'd be gutted to have to drop out now sad

scottishmummy Sat 10-Oct-09 21:17:34

is it vocational.could you approach an employer?

Haylstones Sat 10-Oct-09 21:32:10

Hmmm, it is vocational but doubt I'd get funding. I work for the County Council in Education (my placement for the course is my current job so they're supportive but not forthcoming with cash!)

Thanks for all the advice, will ring at 9am on MOnday!

Haylstones Mon 12-Oct-09 18:17:08

Just thought I'd update you all.
I have managed to confirm today that I will not have to pay any additional fees for my course. smile

Of course, I still have to raise £3225 p.a but they have recommended I apply for a Professional and Career Development Loan from a bank- this way I can borrow up to £1000 and the LSC pays the interest during my course and for one month after it. After that its an APR of between 5-6% so it seems like a good option- by the time I graduate we should have completed a few business projects andhave the capital to pay it off without incurring any interest. Fingers crossed I will be eligible for on otherwise we will be raiding every bank account!

Hopefully this information might be useful to someone else- I'd never heard of it before.

scottishmummy Mon 12-Oct-09 20:42:15

good!are you happy.does this mean you remain on course.yes career development loans are another good option

Haylstones Mon 12-Oct-09 21:08:12

I'm very happy smile
I can now stay on the course- even if I can't get the loan we can sacrifice other things to pay for it so it should all go OK.

Thanks for all the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now