Talk

Advanced search

just started my master's degree and I'm scared!

(9 Posts)
jomalone Tue 29-Sep-09 22:39:03

I've just started my masters degree, had the induction today and now I'm petrified. everyone else sounded so confident and intelligent and talented, and I just don't believe I'm capable of the course. I'm really upset and contemplating dropping out, even though the sensible part of me knows I'm being irrational. My undergraduate degree (a few years ago) I got a first, but instead of giving me confidence, it just makes me more panicky, like now people are going to find out that that was just a fluke....

has anyone else been through similar and how did you work through it and make your sensible side win?

moondog Tue 29-Sep-09 22:46:17

I've just finished mine (hooooray!!!!!) and while I knew I could manage it, I found it bloody hard work as working f/t, have two small kids, a dh constantly abroad. But...it was one of the best things I have ever done in my life and it has changed my life in so many ways.

If it makes you feel any better, on our first day one woman (now a dear friend) cried openly through the first lecture weeping' Im a fraud, I shouldn't be here'

Last summer she was in the States at a huge international conference presenting her work to the creme de la creme in our field.I was there too watching her.

Best of luck.

jomalone Tue 29-Sep-09 22:59:17

well done moondog!! I'm still ttc no1 but its taking a long time, so masters is to replace a job I quit because the job was so stressful my periods stopped, plan is that if I do succeed I will juggle that and baby. i'm truly in awe that you managed it and child care and a dh who'se away. my dh works away a lot too and I know how hard it is even before all those things are thrown in the mix.

thank you for that story too, I'm sure I won't reach those heights (thats truly impressive!) but it does help me to know I'm not the only one whose felt like that. i'm literally sat here crying tonight and i feel so pathetic!

jomalone Tue 29-Sep-09 22:59:46

apologies for the random apostrophe!

moondog Tue 29-Sep-09 23:00:28

Please don't be.Evereynoe else will be feeling exactly like you.It's an adventure so embark on it full of curiosity and enthusiasm (and best of luck with the ttc too!)

jomalone Tue 29-Sep-09 23:13:00

thank you, you're right, I know. and I know in a way that if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be worth doing, if that makes sense?
congratulations again on yours!

moondog Tue 29-Sep-09 23:18:32

Jo, I am on top of the world.The feeling is indescribable.I have my bond thesis by my side and ! keep on stroking it. I take it to bed with me and read it over and over. My friend (the one who cried) is coming over tomorrow for dinner and we shall drink copious amounts of Champagne and probaly laugh and cry.

jomalone Tue 29-Sep-09 23:26:56

thats the way it should be!

moondog Tue 29-Sep-09 23:27:35

smile
That will be you next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now