Talk

Advanced search

Housing benefit for students?

(6 Posts)
juicymelon Tue 22-Sep-09 15:35:36

Can anybody help me
I am about to start (tomorrow!) my 4 year chemistry degree, have applied for housing benefit as a lone parent student, but am unsure how much i will recieve. Local council are quoting 4 week turnaround before I will find out, could do with knowing rough figures before hand.

Is anybody in the same or similar circumstances that could advise me how much of my rent is likely to be paid?

TIA

littleducks Tue 22-Sep-09 15:37:58

I didnt think you could claim housing benefit as a student?

We were told rent was to be paid out of student loan

Hope for you that your council is different

onadietcokebreak Wed 23-Sep-09 18:22:39

As a lone parent student you can claim but no idea re amounts sorry.

CarGirl Wed 23-Sep-09 18:25:21

ring up your council and ask them what the maximum is for a 2 bed place (assuming you would only be entitled to a 2 bed allowance that is)

juicymelon Thu 24-Sep-09 08:38:15

am currently recieveing the maximum as a lone parent on income support, but know I wont comtinue to recieve the full amount, was interested to see if anybody else had been in the same position & could of given me an idea of the percentage that was likely to be paid

Littlepurpleprincess Sat 03-Oct-09 10:21:44

Students can claim housing benefit. We do, but they take your student loan into account when deciding how much you get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now