Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there a "NORTH-SOUTH" divide? your opinions purlease....

(6 Posts)
tiredemma Fri 03-Jun-05 20:47:28

I promise after next week i will not ask anymore stupid questions, at least not until next term!

Still on health inequalities (grrr) looking at the north-south divide, ie rates of life expectancy between two etc, its very boring i know but im falling apart at the seams!!

any comments please???

vickiyumyum Fri 03-Jun-05 21:16:51

having lived in both the north and south, def find north friendlier!
grew up in berkshire moved to Yorkshire to move in with my now dh, but were persuade to come back to berkshire by my parents when pregnant with ds1.
when in york found it much easier to get doctors appointments and referrals to other care. e.g to midwife, i got an appointment the next day whereas in Berks went to the gp and managed to get an appointment 5 weeks later!
work colleagues were freindlier and not such tough nuts to crack, def felt that there was less bitchiness at work too, but that obviously could juct be down to where i was working and nothing to do witht eh north south thing.
sorry if typing rubbish and not quite on track but prob shouldn't typ e after 4 glasses of merl;ot

expatinscotland Fri 03-Jun-05 21:19:13

Dunno, as never lived anywhere else in the UK but here, but it'll be interesting to read other peoples' responses.

tiredemma Fri 03-Jun-05 21:53:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jamiesam Fri 03-Jun-05 22:03:22

Hmmm, only ever worked in the north (but student in Bristol many eons ago).

Now live in Sheffield and work in Barnsley. South Yorkshire scores pretty badly for heart disease etc, but Barnsley I know scores very badly for middle-aged people not working but on ill-health related benefit. Expect vast majority (but not all) will be miners with work related ailments, which will limit their life expectancy.

Have to say Barnsley seems to be wall-to-wall buggies full of Mcdonalds/sausage roll eating toddlers on a weekday lunchtime, but then I'm probably incredibly, well, awful really! Also, Community Plan which is meant to be an expression of local residents wants and needs seems to reflect more concerns at litter and dog cr*p than desire for better education and improved preventative care in the community. Sorry, very cynical here. Good luck with whatever it is you're writing.

ScrewballMuppet Fri 03-Jun-05 22:47:57

There is definately a north south divide. I've lived in portsmouth and as far up as scotland and am back living in own town of teesside.

People in the north and south are different in good ways and bad ways. I know people in the north consider people in the south to have more opportunities and more money. I know people in the south consider northerners to be a bit rough around the edges.
As for health inequalities children in the north have more tooth decay than those in the south. Theres suppose to be more pollution in the north than in the south maybe in the national statistics website they may have statistics for chest complaints such as asthma or lung disease or somet to back that up.
Have you checked out the black report and achesons? Theres also a report carried out by leeds university on the redistribution of wealth maybe therell be somet in that.
Hope have been some use to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now