Talk

Advanced search

Commute to potential Uni - madness??

(2 Posts)
nikki1978 Fri 04-Sep-09 19:37:12

I went to an open day at Brunel Uni today as I am hoping to do a degree in Occupational Therapy in 2 years (just doing two alevels to bump my UCAS points up). If I manage to get in I will be at a stage where both my kids are at school (DS starts in 2 years, DD starts this year).

The course is 4 days a week for the first year and then 3 days a week for the last two years except for placements which will be 9-5 5 days a week (4 weeks in first year, two lots of 8 weeks in second year and 8 weeks in third year). The holidays are good - 3 weeks at xmas and easter then 15 weeks in the summer - so I wouldn't struggle so much with childcare as I would with midwifery which is the other subject I was considering.

The problem I have is that I live in Croydon, Surrey and Brunel is in Uxbridge which including dropping kids off and picking them up is about a 3 hour trip there then the same back so 6 hours a day commute. I could drive but the cost of petrol for 60 miles a day and the chance of being stuck on the M25 for ages each day means public transport is the best move (£1300 a year travelcard for a student).

As it is a NHS course the fees are covered plus I would get a bursary so money should not be too much of a problem. This seems to be the most respected Uni near me in this subject. The other options I have are London South Bank which has a terrible reputation and Brighton (on the Eastbourne campus) which would still be about 2 hours each way commute and much more expensive. I could handle the commute I think and guess I can study on train journeys so as not to be wasting too much of my time.

Does this sound like madness?

colie Wed 09-Sep-09 17:05:00

Oooh it is a tricky decision. I think the 2 hour commute sounds a bit better (obviously).

I was thinking about commuting in my third year of the social work degree (next year) for 3 and a half hours each way for 3 days a week. Someone also suggested to me that I could study on the train but I need silence to write assisngments up in and am too easily distracted by people on mobiles etc. I can't even study in the college/uni library.

Obviously apply to all the uni's you want to consider and see how you go.
If you are at uni 4 days a week you are going to have to study weekends and day off.

Are you going to be too exhaused to just do the day to day house stuff when you get in? It is hard to do catch up when you have to study on your days off? Do you have a supportive partner or family? If you are doing it yourself it will be hard.

There is an O/T website somewhere with a student forum on it. Ask there, what others think about time needed to study etc. Can't remember name of website but I did go on it occassionally as was considering O/T for a while.

Good luck in your decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now