Talk

Advanced search

A210 Approaching Literature OU ?

(10 Posts)
winnybella Thu 03-Sep-09 21:08:39

Hello
I'm starting A210 in October.
I registered for it because the level 1 courses offered didn't seem interesting enough to spend fortune on (I live in Paris and here we pay about double of what UK students pay).
Anyway, now I am having panic attacks about failing.
I researched the course on the web, but I need some insight from people who've done it.
Can a person with decent writing skills, love of literature, certain familiarity with literary theory but with no previous higher education experience do it? I do not work at the moment (got a 7-year-old and 7-month-old at home), so I'll have almost every evening free to study.
Please, please come and talk to me about it!

PrincessToadstool Sun 06-Sep-09 20:15:03

Hi, I did A210 a few years ago and loved it. I think it is quite straightforward really as long as you read the texts properly and plan your essays well.

Although I enjoyed it, I did not give it enough time due to my job which I regret now - but without that worry you'll be fine! Evenings are enough if you can get off MN (I am supposed to be writing my TMA for social science as I type...)

winnybella Mon 07-Sep-09 14:04:55

Thank you for responding!
I ordered some books on practical criticism, essay writing etc. and they just arrived this morning.It does seem pretty straightforward, but we'll see...Sustained effort has never been my strong point, but I am very excited about this course.
Anyone else ?

kitkat9 Wed 09-Sep-09 21:04:19

I did this course last year and quite enjoyed it, though I did struggle with the poetry section!

My dc's were about 4 and 1 when i did it, and by the time I was finishing I was pg with dc3! I didn't really have enough time to devote to it but still managed to pass reasonably well.

Try to read as many of the books as you can before the course starts. That's the best advice I can give. You pretty much have to forget about reading anything of your own choice and stick to the course books for the duration!

You'll be fine. Good luck!

winnybella Thu 10-Sep-09 14:33:49

Thanks Kitkat !

MissGreatBritain Tue 15-Sep-09 21:51:10

I second kitkat's advice about trying to get the reading done early. A210 was great (did it a couple of years ago). From memory, Trifles, Yellow Wallpaper and poetry were my favourites. I'm sure you'll do fine - being interested in the course is definitely the key to success.

jetonthedancefloor Tue 22-Sep-09 16:50:05

Hi Winnybella. I am starting this as well - just received my course materials todaygrin

I did complete the assignment part of A210 a couple of years ago, but due to a bereavement, i couldnt sit the exam. So, second time lucky!!

Will prob see you on the course forum thengrin

jetonthedancefloor Tue 22-Sep-09 16:51:44

Sorry, just re-read your post. I started with this one as well - missing the level 1 courses, which i will need to do next year do fulfil the course requirements.

I have since done a level 3 course, and will safely say that a first timer should be able to manage A210 - so long as they are not afraid to ask for helpgrin

winnybella Tue 22-Sep-09 20:39:22

jetonthedancefloor I am so envy that you already got your materials! Mine were mailed last Wednesday but I'm in Paris so it might take some time...
What degree are you doing? I'm aiming for BA(Hons) Literature but there's no obligation to do level 1.
Did you join Facebook A210 group?
Also, can't imagine that they wouldn't let you resit if you had a bereavement?!
I look at the OUSA forum for info from previous years but it seems it's been taken over by Feb 09 starters preparing for the exam.
Unless I'm looking in a wrong place?

winnybella Wed 23-Sep-09 17:12:23

Yep looking in the wrong place, you're all in the Cafe now! See you there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now