Talk

Advanced search

What do I wear to Graduation?

(9 Posts)
StressBat Tue 01-Sep-09 23:12:29

All they say is top with buttons on and nothing strapless.

Argh! I am a distance learner so no idea what goes on at graduations oe uni for that matter. I know I have a gown and a hat, there is a short reception afterwards.

The one person I have been able to ask says white blouse, black skirt. I thought it was a much more dress up affair, I don't want to turn up looking like a waitress and everyone else is in gorgeous clothes. the guys are all wearing suits or kilt, dead easy.

Seeline Wed 02-Sep-09 10:50:17

I'm about 20 years out of date, butin my day it was skirt and blouse - not necessarily balck and white though. You need the buttons because thats what the graduation hood is fixed too. My blouse wasn't long enough as the hood is quite heavy and it kept coming untucked blush I'm sure a more recent graduate will be able to give better advice!

msrisotto Wed 02-Sep-09 10:54:42

Hi hi,
I just graduated this year and it doesn't matter what you wear underneath the gown as you won't really see it. The top with buttons on thing is so the gown can hook on to it to stay in place.

I'd go with white top, black trousers or skirt and some funky shoes!

slug Wed 02-Sep-09 11:03:14

My speciality subject!! I've graduated a few times and currently work in a university where I help with graduations. You can wear what you like, though be warned, you will end up in a DVD and (posibly) have your ceremony streamed worldwide, so the hotpants one of the girl's wore this year may not be the best idea.

The hood is quite heavy and can slide back and throttle you a bit. If you wear a top, make sure it's not one that is liable to come untucked and expose your belly (or worse). You can get away with wearing a dress if you prefer. I would suggest you take a handful of small safety pins. Pin the hood to your shoulders first and then the point. Finally, make sure you have shoes that you are comfortable walking in. You have to walk across a stage in front of everyone and I lost count of the trips and stumbles this year from girls in their best four inch heels.

StressBat Wed 02-Sep-09 12:15:13

Aw thanks everyone, I am thinking red blouse (must check hood colours, black/ grey trousers and black shoes with small heel. Would love red shoes but don't have any and usually have terrible trouble finding shoes anyway. Might have a wee look for some though.

I take it I would be too warm with a suit jacket on too. Might get my partner to hang onto that and what about my handbag, will I dump that with partner too, to save the whole row tripping over it on the way out and in.

Next debate is do I take the car, or leave that at the hotel. Graduation in the middle of town. I am thinking if I take car I can leave change of clothes/ shoes in it, but I will want to have a drink at the reception and just go out for meal after then pub. But then I have to leave car overnight in multi story. If I don't take it I can't take a change of clothes hmm decisions decisions.

Will take supply of pins too grin.

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 12:39:56

slug has covered all salient points grin

I always wear long sleeves and trousers under a gown as little wrists and little ankles poking out of the huge flapping black thing always look weird to me.

and unless it is roasting I prefer to keep my jacket on as jacket buttons are much sturdier than blouse ones for hooking your hood to.

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 12:42:05

oh and take black kirby grips to keep your mortar board on if you are going to wear it

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Sep-09 12:58:23

NB and not mules either - girl in front of me in the queue at ours had to come back for her shoe!
Congrats btw!

StressBat Wed 02-Sep-09 13:25:39

Oh yes black kirby grips, I would have got brown.
Just watched a graduation video clip and I agree the little naked hands and ankles look wierd. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now