Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to become a health visitor??

(16 Posts)
blossom2 Tue 31-May-05 14:35:32

I'm just thinking about careers at the moment and wondered what kind of training it takes to become a health visitor ? do u need any previous experience?, qualifications etc...

any ideas on where i could start investigating?
many thanks

strugstu Tue 31-May-05 14:38:08

u need a nurse qualification first ie. rgn, midwife, rmn- then u go on to do further training...public health degree.

there was talk about there being a direct entry route, but its not been developed further.

expatinscotland Tue 31-May-05 14:38:31

Aren't they all nurses? Mine used to be a hospital nurse but switched to HV once she had young children herself.

ggglimpopo Tue 31-May-05 14:40:55

Message withdrawn

blossom2 Tue 31-May-05 14:40:56

well thats the end of the road for me then... i don't think i could do the training to be a nurse or midwife. thanks for the info athough.

now i just have to think of something else to do, don't really want to go back to HR...

acnebride Tue 31-May-05 14:43:51

Does phlebotomy appeal?

Nothing to do with HV really but just wondered. For some reason it appeals to me. Maybe I'm a vampire.

ggglimpopo Tue 31-May-05 14:46:34

Message withdrawn

ggglimpopo Tue 31-May-05 14:46:53

Message withdrawn

blossom2 Tue 31-May-05 14:48:54

Social worker really doesn't take my fancy!!

sorry i'm just being picky now ...

ggglimpopo Tue 31-May-05 14:50:52

Message withdrawn

strugstu Tue 31-May-05 14:58:19

i was going to say that too ggglimpo- r u /were u a hv- (whispers quietly-i am training to be HV hope to qualify sept-the role is changing so much from traditional hv and it worries me as to what parents expect from u.)

ggglimpopo Tue 31-May-05 15:00:25

Message withdrawn

strugstu Tue 31-May-05 15:08:35

its a mare! should be studying for nurse prescribing at the moment.. (yuk) the degree course is very public health orientated as opposed to 0-5 yet in the area i am based most of hv work is 0-5, so its a bit frustrating, i am more fortunate than some of the others on my course as i have a good community nurse background at least i havent come straight out of the acute setting. TBH am frustrated now - 13 weeks till i finish course(as long as i pass the modules) results in september- just need to find a job then.

what do u do now ggglimpo?

Sorry blossom2 for thread hijack

ggglimpopo Tue 31-May-05 15:12:37

Message withdrawn

strugstu Tue 31-May-05 15:21:43

wow- how fantastic! (hope its successful)

will cat u soon - if u dont mind me whinging and will be grateful for any advice/tips - cheers.

ggglimpopo Tue 31-May-05 15:22:28

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now