Talk

Advanced search

Self Study - Human Biology??

(4 Posts)
nikki1978 Sun 30-Aug-09 15:08:48

Hi,

I am about to start college doing ALevels to get extra UCAS points for when I apply for midwifery or occupational therapy degree for entry in 2011. I was going to do maths and human biology at my local college but just found out that they are dropping human biology this year

I cannot find any other human biology classes nearby and am a bit wary of distance learning after hearing many bad reviews. So I was wondering how hard it would be to complete this A-level by myself (I have two years to get this done and quite a bit of spare time as my kids are at school and p/t nursery). I have looked on the AQA website for exam centres and there are lots near me so hopefully one will let me sit the exams there.

My questions are:

1) Is the recent change in a-levels going to be a problem when it comes to self study?
2) How do you submit coursework if you have no tutor?
3) Where can you get all the information you need (the syllabus, the coursework deadlines etc)?
4) Does Human Biology require practical study e.g. lab work?

Thanks in advance!

TheFallenMadonna Sun 30-Aug-09 15:13:51

Do they do Biology? Does it have to be Human Biology that you do?

arvo Sun 30-Aug-09 16:49:09

Does it have to be A-level, I am doing a life science degree with O.U. and have just finished a level 2 human biology course. Not sure if this will give you the UCAS points you need? if not you could combine it with another biology course

nikki1978 Sun 30-Aug-09 17:34:20

No I can't find a biology course either and to be honest the human side is the most important so it seems to be more relevant to my degree. I need about 80-100 UCAS points so not sure about the OU thing but I will have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now