Talk

Advanced search

I want to study medicine in some capacity

(26 Posts)
FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 23:08:06

ok bear with me, this has been a gradual epiphany for a few weeks now.

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on what I should do - how to begin to go about it, I'm currently single and receive benefits, due to long term anxiety/depression, so it seems a bit complicated and unrealistic to think about all this. BUT.

It's all very early days but basically I've been realising it comes quite naturally - not actual hands on doctor stuff because I have ehalth anxiety, but reading things, research type issues, and remembering them - my GP last autumn told me he'd never met anyone with such an blush incredible recall of medical knowledge blush and I was also asked in that period several times whether I was in fact medical, by random doctors I spoke to about my condition.

I enjoy it, I'd even go so far as to say it is FUN, learning about these things - however awful they are - but how to put it to use? I also probably have aspergers, so not sure how that would all fit with a proper, grown up working environment. I want to find the right job for me, that helps people - I've been wasting years on benefits, I believe in the right circumstances I could be helpful and get back my sense of usefullness.

But where to start?
TIA for any ideas or experience.

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 23:09:52

Ps my last jobs were in a library and in a shop, so not unrelated in terms of nerdiness - brill at stocktaking/filing grin just lousy with actual customers...

roomforthree Thu 27-Aug-09 10:28:19

I'd start with some work experience or volunteer work, if you can. I believe that you are able to do this while claiming benefits, but check with the benefits office.

I'm about to start a 5 year medicine degree, and prior to this I did a levels. If you have a degree you may be able to apply for a 4 year graduate course. There are several methods for entry - research is the key.

If you don't think you could manage clinical medicine there are other degrees that may interest you. At my local university they run a bsc in medical sciences and humanities.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 18:27:15

Thankyou smile

What are you hoping to do once you've finished? I'm very envy

I stopped after A levels and they were all arts once, I dropped biology asap as the smell of the labs used to make me feel ill...also hated the teacher, she was horrid.

I have a lot of catching up to do.

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 18:30:56

I am starting a voluntary job in Sptember which involves a lot of research and investigation.The local health cntre needs someone to set up and man a small advice centre for people newly diagnosd with long term health issues.I have to organise leaflets and advice etc I too have a huge recall for this stuff prob due to years of ill health and I am so looking forward to taking it out of the house iyswim.

stitchtime Thu 27-Aug-09 18:32:40

go to volunteer centre, see what they have. you could have a try of what is around and what you could realistically do, before making the loss in benefits

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 18:40:07

Excellent Noddy let us know how you get on...sorry OP sounds rather boasty, it was v late at night and I had an ambitious moment due to someone saying something nice!

blush anyway tis about time I actually did USEful work. I've wasted my whole life so far. i just so want to be useful.

belgo Thu 27-Aug-09 18:42:32

What about working towards a degree in health care or biomedical science?

And there are always jobs available as nurses,or health visiting, but that's not for everyone.

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 18:42:50

I wonder if there would be a volunteery thing that didn't involve too much social stuff. I am happy doing research and reading and stuff, but if I had to confront the public it'd do me in I think still...it was working full on saturdays and sundays on the counter that sent me into the big spiral, eating disorder lasting 4-5 years...itw as really really awful. I don't think I can do that again. I was a bit obsessional about it, trying to be perfect customer service etc and couldn't cope with it.

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 18:44:15

I am sure they could accomodate that FA.I will be on my own gathering info and making up info packs etc for months before I have to deal with the public so I am sure there are others like that too.

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 18:44:47

Thankyou Belgo, good ideas...the science one particularly but maybe I'd be able to do an access course? A degree would be brilliant, does anyone know how financially viable it'd be though as a single parent?
I fancy being a student again.

belgo Thu 27-Aug-09 18:46:20

I don't know about finances, can you get careers' advice?

I think you should go for it, I'm going back to studying this autumn.

Anyway, must gosmile

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 18:47:11

Ooh come back later and tell me what you're studying! smile

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 18:47:36

There are access to medicine courses I looked at that too but I am not well enough for years of studying tbh

notevenamousie Thu 27-Aug-09 18:48:05

Hi Flight smile

I'm a doctor but recently taken a change of career due to family (single parent - miss my daughter, pressure of postgrad exams - etcetcetc) and I know we've "talked" before...

How about some sort of health information role - Macmillan?? - or NHS, hospital library, PALS, or even community support of some kind? What about Pharmacy? or Medicines Information?

Will keep thinking...

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 18:52:09

PALS is what I am doing thank you!

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 18:56:08

Hi Mousie! smile

Yes something where you need to understand all that fancy language. I love it. Weirdo alert grin but I get an actual thrill saying 'So there isn't a risk it'll select for resistance...' to some poor GP on the out of hours at midnight, being met with silence as they think I am kidding them.

I think I just like feeling important hmm

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 18:57:02

Noddy IME Pals is brilliant.

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 18:59:23

Thats great!You sound a bit like me I have had far too many years researching stuff for no reason other than to scare myself sh'less!The thought of spending hours doing this and arranging it into packs fills me with joy.I have the lingo downpat too but only use it in the privacy of my own home You are crackers!!!!!!!

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 19:01:29

Well it helped that my GP was v v attractive grin

FairLadyRantALot Thu 27-Aug-09 19:27:27

how about Occupational Therapy...the lecturers (at least where I am) are all brill and they have a great way to teach, I suppose part of it being an essence of an OT's practice in itself....iykwim...

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Thu 27-Aug-09 19:33:05

I'm doing a radiography degree, it is tough though but it's very medical, people on my course have done an access course if they don't have the A'levels to get in.

I have always wanted to do medicine, I did train as a paeds nurse for a while, I liked the children, I also wanted to take some home with me as their parents didn't do a very good job, it was like a torment after a while because my hands were tied, I did hate to see them discharged. sad

FlightHattendant Thu 27-Aug-09 20:09:19

Fluffy sad i can relate to that, I think it must be unbearable to be in the front line.

Good to know about the access course. I just have to sort out money now really. Or stop buying shoes. grin

FairLadyRantALot Thu 27-Aug-09 20:28:13

ot, with mature students, well at my uni, really does take that experience into account...I was a nurse originally, than a sahm for years and years with some assisting jobs inbetween, and all I needed to was a short study skills course...

roomforthree Thu 27-Aug-09 21:01:46

Hi Flight,

I'd love to have a career in surgery, but I'm about to hit 30, so it may not be a realistic option. sad

Forgot to add that I also suspect I have aspergers. It's taken a huge amount of effort to get to this point. Working and volunteering have really helped with my social issues and self-esteem, as did studying full-time for my a-levels.

There have been lots of good suggestions on this thread. I hope that you can find something that suits you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now