Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Essay deadline

(19 Posts)
Chickyboo Sat 28-May-05 19:57:44

what happens if you don't hand in all essay... can you still continue to next year if you are in 2nd yr degree?

SenoraPostrophe Sat 28-May-05 20:03:17

depends on the university's policy and whether you're talking about essays that count or general coursework essays. When I did my degree, I had to do a special exam because I missed an essay (I faxed it and it didn't get there).

For coursework essays they'll usually give you an extrension if you ask - better to do that.

Chickyboo Sat 28-May-05 20:13:19

Thanks for advice. I hope I can get extension, i'm sure they will understand as I do have 9mth old to look after.

gothicmama Sat 28-May-05 20:23:15

best get a doc's note or similar my uni is really strict about extensions unless your tutor is really nice and back dates your hand in date

SleepyJess Sat 28-May-05 20:27:42

With the OU, TMAs 2 or 3 (out of 4) are often substitutable.. they just average out your grade using your the other 3. That's just the OU though.. don't know about others unis.

SJ x

Chickyboo Sun 29-May-05 06:49:46

What are TMA's sleepyjess?

Smurfgirl Sun 29-May-05 11:22:16

You have to get an extension or you fail it and have to do the resit (which may be another essay or exam) in August. If you resit you get the lowest mark possible to pass so it can affect your grade. If you fail the resit you will have to apply to redo the year.

Chickyboo Mon 30-May-05 15:15:11

I think I'm going to have to do a resit. I've only got 2 days to hand 2 essays and dd is teething so badly at mo.. so don't have a minute to myself. That's only 1 module i'll fail.

Smurfgirl Mon 30-May-05 15:18:39

Have you asked for an extention, unis are usually quite generous.

Chickyboo Mon 30-May-05 15:26:50

haven't asked because none has been available to talk too. Do you think its too late if I ask so close to deadline? This is my 1st semester back from having baby so technically my year ends at end of autumn semester hoping that will help.

beansmum Mon 30-May-05 15:32:54

Is it worth handing the essays in late? I know at my uni they just take a couple of marks off for every day an assignment is late, and they don't take marks off for the weekends.

Chickyboo Mon 30-May-05 15:42:20

That's what I thought I'd do by the way not doing essay now because dd is playing in front of me so can't focus..she has just learnt to pull herself up ahhh!

countrylass Mon 30-May-05 18:10:44

On my degree, if something's handed in late, you automatically fail, then have to redo it, but can only get 40% (minimum pass). So you don't have to take all the module again, but it means that it really brings your average mark down.

I'd ask for an extension!

strugstu Mon 30-May-05 18:15:44

very strict about this at the uni i attend - automatic fail - then resubmit maximum mark u recieve is 40% even if its worth an a15.
ask for extension as soon as poss it will be worth it otherwise it will affect the overall degree u get ie. first, 2.1, 2.2, third hth

Chickyboo Mon 30-May-05 18:31:51

Oh no I'm really worried now

Chickyboo Tue 28-Jun-05 18:54:23

So relieved I was late submitting my essays and totally shut down in the exam even though I knew the answers.

I was so worried.. have just checked provisional results and I'm allowed to resit and hand in all course work by August. I've got an average of 65-70% on my essays so hoping so overall mark will come down but I still have 3 semesters to make up mark.

Thanks for all of your info

StrugstuWaitingForThePostman Tue 28-Jun-05 18:57:52

well done- my results of four module were posted first class today so expecting my results tomorrow/thursday at latest

vickiyumyum Tue 28-Jun-05 18:58:19

i think it depends on the course that you are doing. i know that if its nursing or midwifery, if you fail a module, you get one chance to resit and then if you fail again thats it you are of the course so i would talk to your tutor and arraange an extension, they are normally quite understanding in my experience.
good luck!

Chickyboo Tue 28-Jun-05 19:15:35

am happy with resit as I have almost finished coursework.

I just didn't realise how much having a baby would affect my work....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now