Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone done an ECDL?

(9 Posts)
Ulysees Thu 26-May-05 18:37:31

I've just been to our local library today to look at the course and make an appointment for enrolment. It sounds fairly straighforward. Just wondered who else has done it?

Marina Thu 26-May-05 18:41:11

I've done it, not because I am a student but because I work with them.
I found some of it glaringly obvious, but learned a lot from some of the less used modules like Excel and Powerpoint.
Are you not able to do it through college? Do you have to pay to do it at the Library?
If you can find a source of free training/registration I'd say go for it.

starlover Thu 26-May-05 18:48:15

My Mum did it, and she is the most computer illiterate person I know! SO, they obviously teach you well, because she has remembered most of it, and is actually able to use the computer well now.
In fact, she knows more than me abot some stuff!

She enjoyed doing it too I think, even though she moaned about it! (she was made to do it at work)

Ulysees Thu 26-May-05 19:01:44

How long did it take your mum to do starlover? They reckon 76 hours but I can do it at home too.

marina, I'm not a student myself either, suppose I should have put this message in education? I'm not on any benefits so can't get it totally free but only pay £80 which I think is for the tests?

starlover Thu 26-May-05 19:14:08

it took her a long time, because she did it with work. So she just had a one hour lesson each week. I think it was like, 6 months or something silly like that.

Ulysees Thu 26-May-05 19:19:34

thanks starlover. My friend is doing it and can't touch type so they reckon a year for her? They say you get up to 3 to do it in though but I hope to have it done in a few months. DS2 starts school in Sep and it'd be good to have it finished for next year as it'll help my job prospects.

fireflyfairy2 Sun 29-May-05 20:58:07

I did it in 12 weeks, 3 hour classes.... so thats 36 hours. I enjoyed it.... have my certificate up on the study wall

joash Sun 29-May-05 21:17:10

Hi Ulysees. It depends on how good you are, or aren't with a computer. If you are NOT a novice - then I'd avoid it like the plague unless you need it for job purposes.

I am currently doing ECDL for the 'bit of paper'. I am very good with computers, can do anything including stripping them down and building my own. Can use any software package that comes my way and have actually taught computer skills in the community at a basic level. However, I am totally self taught and decided that whilst I'm a SAHM looking after GS, I'd like the certificate that says I can use a computer.

BIG MISTAKE I find the whole course VERY, VERY VERY BORING, EXTREMELY TEDIOUS, MAKES ME FEEL SUICIDAL.

Laura032004 Tue 31-May-05 19:10:17

I used to teach ECDL. It's a really good all round qualification IMO. It shows that you can do the things most office environments require, whereas quals like CLAIT can be gained without much 'useful' computer knowledge.

Regarding completion time, it depends upon your current level of knowledge (which may vary dramatically by module). Exams take about an hour each, so that's 7 hours before you've even learnt anything. We had students that took a year of four hours per week, and others that could basically just come in and sit the exam.

The ECDL website used to be quite good regarding module content, so you could probably assess your current level of knowledge from that.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now