Talk

Advanced search

How do you get any work done?

(6 Posts)
stitchtime Wed 05-Aug-09 21:45:25

I am trying to write an essay. my kids dont seem to understand that when i say i have work to do, its not an excuse to bring all there stuff to me to sort out.
or to start fighitn g between themselves, and come to me with cries of 'but he said and she said'
i say leave me alone, and they come back harder and faster.
i explain to them nicely, and they fight more. or worse, come along and try to talk to me sweetly.
how am i supposed to get this essay written. how do you keep a train of thought going in your head?
any advice appreciated

Molesworth Wed 05-Aug-09 21:48:29

Oh it's a nightmare isn't it?!

Can you carve any time out for yourself (i.e. when the kids are out or being looked after by someone else)?

Failing that it's a case of burning midnight oil

stitchtime Wed 05-Aug-09 21:52:56

no one else to look after kids.

i thought i was doing the midnight oil thing right now. i've fed them, cleaned kitchen etc etc. theyve been sent up to their rooms, and are now no longer fighting at least, but have sooo disrupted my chain of thought, ive given up on the essay. they are all playing together very noisily, and i just know someone is going to get hurt, and theyll be back wailing at me.

Molesworth Thu 06-Aug-09 10:18:24

How old are your dcs stitchy?

It's particularly hard to focus during the school hols when they're in your face all the time. Are you an OU student?

stitchtime Thu 06-Aug-09 15:15:18

12, 8 and 6, all teenagers.
no, not doing the ou. just trying to pass an exam in september, so i can return to full time work. i know i need structure to the day, but, they just keep fighting, and destroy any planned routines. i know with kids you have to be flexible, but, the flexibility means, that for example, its quarter past three in the afternoon, ive done no work today, and doubt i will get any done till six.
i shall try the midnight oil againtonight.

allgonebellyup Thu 06-Aug-09 17:29:55

i dont know how anyone can get any work done with their kids in the same house as them!!

Either my mum has them when i work or, usually, my ex has the kids every weekend so i do my studying then.. i know i am lucky in this respect.
i cannot seem to study at night, my brain stops working by 3pm!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now