Talk

Advanced search

Second Years!!! Shiny new thread in preparation for the new year!

(26 Posts)
LollipopViolet Sun 02-Aug-09 10:54:50

Come on, come on, get yourselves in here! There's plenty of space for us all and our assorted student stuff!

Just to recap, I'm LollipopViolet and I'm going into the second year of a 3 year Media Production course.

I've been asked to be a student mentor for the new first years, so I'll be going for training for that on 17th September, and starting a week of work on the 21st before going back properly on I think, the 28th.

Over summer I did one day's work experience, and am going to do some more when I've finished my job in 18 days! (woo!).

OnlyWantsOne Fri 07-Aug-09 08:56:51

Hello Im just finishing some work i had extensions on - but will be a second year (or Level 2 student don't you know grin) when I go back to uni in sept

helloooo there then I am doing an English degree

LollipopViolet Fri 07-Aug-09 17:01:49

Oh yes, it's all done in Levels now lol. One of the technical instructors at uni is my friend (and all students' friend) on Facebook, so we've been getting sneak peaks of new equipment and things. We have a Glidecam!! Google it if you need to but it's so cool looking!

tammybear Sat 08-Aug-09 19:35:24

Oooo how weird to think we'll be starting our second year next month!!

OnlyWantsOne Sun 09-Aug-09 07:43:42

tammy bear, what are you studying / are you doing OU or FT in Uni?

It's another lovely day here, so will be off to the beach with DD I think x

tammybear Sun 09-Aug-09 12:00:29

I'm doing photography at uni. 2 more years to go grin

How's your course been?

It's lovely here! Pity DP is wasting it in bed lol, so me and DD are gonna go make the most of the weather!

OnlyWantsOne Mon 10-Aug-09 19:30:59

hey - I have swine flu, my DD has gone to stay with my parents for today and tomorrow and I have managed to write an Alice In Wonderland essay

I feel so grim

LollipopViolet Fri 28-Aug-09 17:52:50

I start back in exactly 1 month! Eeek! And, a week before, I have to go and act as a student mentor to the new first years- double eek! However, I will be getting paid for some of that.

I'm so nervous I can't find my visual notebook from last year that I want to work on, and I've not got any stationary sorted!

FairLadyRantALot Sat 29-Aug-09 09:23:54

Oh just been thinking we need a new thread...what with us being soon 2. year students...whoop whoop...

well....for any newbies here....I am doing a BSc (Hons) in Occupational Therapy....and lurving it...

purepurple Sat 29-Aug-09 09:30:54

I am about to do my second year of a foundation degree in Professional Practice in Early Years
Except, I have had no notification from college that i have actually passed the first year yet.
i have 3 assignments that I have no marks for. everyone on the course is in the same position.
we were supposed to get a letter in july.
i know i am still a student, because I got a letter beginning 'Dear studen' asking me to apply for a car parking permit. except that I don't drive. hmm

FairLadyRantALot Sat 29-Aug-09 09:31:55

purepurple....hope you find out more soon...how annoying

purepurple Sat 29-Aug-09 09:36:30

I expect the first thing we will have to do when we do eventually get back to college, is to fill in yet another bloody questionnaire. We seem to spend more time doing surveys than we do doing course work.
I will have plenty to say. I have already mentioned in the last survey that we spend too much time filling in surveys.

FairLadyRantALot Sat 29-Aug-09 09:42:56

yeah, we had to fill in a lot of "surveys"....

am really looking forward to going back though....especially as we will be only 2 weeks or so at Uni and than out on Placement....

purepurple Sat 29-Aug-09 09:45:44

I am looking forward to going back as I work full time and going to college after work is a break from the routine.
I have also missed doing assignments and having deadlines.

tammybear Mon 31-Aug-09 18:19:02

I haven't heard when we go back yet. Honestly our uni is so disorganised sometimes. Someone in my class rang up and asked and we were suppose to get a letter at the beginning of last week... hmm. I need to get childcare sorted out asap, so gonna have to give them a call tomorrow.

But I'm looking forward to going back, as I have felt a bit at a loss without having work to do! Though DD loves that we will both be starting year 2 in September, lol.

LV, ooo I'm sure you'll do find. And I can't find anything of mine from last year. Honestly don't know where half my things go sometimes! Lol.

Purepurple, hopefully you'll hear something soon. And we have plenty of surveys to do too.

FairLady, that sounds good. You excited?

LollipopViolet Thu 03-Sep-09 20:33:00

I am SO bored! Cannot WAIT to get back, it beats sitting around the house (I've been working this summer but my heart wasn't in the job so I left on Aug 20th). All my mates are either at home or working full time.

tammybear Sat 05-Sep-09 15:13:45

Same here. We go back 22nd for two induction days to enrol and such, then start officially again on 28th. I just wanna get back into the old routine and feel like I'm doing something now! Have started to ask around and advertise myself in a sense, offering to do wedding photos and such for free to get experience and add to my portfolio

LollipopViolet Sat 05-Sep-09 21:43:40

I might have a contact with a local concert venue, just need to finalise it, then might be able to invade the place to film gigs for bands, thanks to my mate who works there

tammybear Thu 17-Sep-09 11:29:43

Ooo excellent LV.

I go back next Tues for a "bonding" day out and Weds to enrol. I can't wait tbh. I've been getting really bored the past couple of weeks.

LollipopViolet Fri 18-Sep-09 13:15:03

Wahey, filming a local gig tomorrow night, so should be fun, then second ice hockey game of the season on Sunday!

tammybear Wed 23-Sep-09 23:08:56

How did the filming go LV?

Well I'm all enrolled back into my course. Start properly on Monday. Don't like our new timetable though. Last year we had a 3 day weekend, but we don't get that this year angry Lol. We are in Monday all day, Weds afternoon and Fri all day. Sounds quite tough this year. We have to do a lot more about business strategies and marketing ourselves. Oh dear... I'm rubbish when it comes to that kind of thing. Oh well, we'll see!

LollipopViolet Thu 24-Sep-09 18:06:13

It didn't go ahead tammybear I needed a 2nd camera person and couldn't get one, so I just went to the gig and enjoyed myself

I've had a welcome back day yesterday, and a media centre induction today (have to have an induction each year).

Start properly on Monday.

tammybear Thu 24-Sep-09 20:20:33

Ah I'm sorry to hear that, but least you got to go watch rather than worrying about capturing it

LollipopViolet Fri 25-Sep-09 20:35:11

Had the joys of health and safety yesterday too, including a 1992 video on manual handling. My goodness, the man in it looked very dodgy, and I mean that in a "wouldn't want to meet him in a back alley" way!

tammybear Sat 17-Oct-09 21:13:04

How's everyone getting on?

Things are tough (shock!) this year. We have to choose four different brands and advertise either 1 or 3 of their products, and if we choose just 1, have to advertise it in 3 different ways. My brain is not helping as I can't think what to do! Lol. Using a perfume bottle at the moment.

We also have to do a business plan for a business we could set up when we finish, which means having to look into finance, laws and self employment. Business is a not so good subject for me, so bit worried about how this will go!

Also we get to do work experience now, but we have to organise it ourselves. I photographed my first wedding last Sunday. Was so nervous, but was a second shooter so my photographs weren't important iykwim. Was nice to see how it is, although one of my lens kept bringing an error up which did not help (luckily I have three) but when I got home it's working fine again hmm. But I was happy with a handful of prints I got.

I also have a corporate event coming up as second shooter again. It's a big international business awards with Lord Digby Jones there, so think that'll look good on the CV! grin

But yeah I need to find 15 different work experiences to complete the year, which sounds a lot, really hoping I can pull it off!! It's very quiet at the moment, which is understandably particularly within weddings, but we shall see!!

Hope everyone else is enjoying the start of their second year smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now