Talk

Advanced search

I have one DS, and probably no more - when's a good time to study?

(8 Posts)
babyignoramus Sun 26-Jul-09 17:02:29

My DS is now 5 months. I was considering doing a course while on maternity leave, but decided not to (and boy am I glad I made that decision!!). I would like to study some more (although as always I don't now what I want to study).

I am coming to the conclusion that I probably don't want any more children. I am going back to work in Nov for two days a week (DS will be 8 months and at nursery). I am at home the rest of the time with DS. DH works full time. With all that in mind, what would you more experienced parents say was a good time to do a course?

littlelamb Sun 26-Jul-09 17:05:25

No time like the present. What kind of course are you looking at doing. I went back into my second year of uni full time when my dd was 8 weeks old. Was much much easier than it would be now she's going to school in September. I now also have a ds who is 13 months and have been thinking of going back to do a postgrad course, but the childcare for both of them is going to be a nightmare.

Niecie Sun 26-Jul-09 17:12:32

I did an OU course starting when DS1 was about 7 mths.

I didn't work but DS was not a great sleeper except for when he first settled in the evenings so I had from about 8pm to midnight to do something. There wasn't really enough time the rest of the day.

By the time he was 10mths he began sleeping through the night so I was less tired and by about 12 months he started having a reliably long nap during the middle of the day so I could study then as well.

I am lazy so I don't ever study every day but I don't think it was particularly necessary.blush

I also had DH to help out at the weekends and when assignment deadlines were getting close.

I think once your DS is settled into a routine, sleeps for a stretch of time when you can study and you have back up from your DH and family you can cope.

Of course it gets easier by the time they go to playgroup/nursery.

That is the other option, of course - extend the time your DS spends with his carer (nursery/CM/relative) so you get time at home for yourself for half a day.

See how you feel about getting back to work - maybe you will be too tired for a while, maybe you won't but it could have a bearing on whether you think you will cope.

babyignoramus Sun 26-Jul-09 17:25:46

Hi, both. I'm not sure what I want to do really - I am notoriously indecisive! I think the most useful thing would be a language course - I have been teaching myself german as DH has family in Austria adn I want DS to learn some. It would have to be a distance course because DH doesn't get home from work until 7 so most of the evening classes round here would have already started.

I don't think extra childcare is an option at the moment unfortunately. Our families are far away and I can't afford to pay for any more!

floatyjosmum Sun 09-Aug-09 17:37:21

think it depends how motivated you are, i went to uni when ds was 3 and i was 19 weeks pregnant (was an accident),
i had 2 weeks off when she was born and just got extensions for a couple of assignments.

tbh it was easier than i thought as long as you keep up with reading and dont leave things till the last minute. after 3 years they were used to beign quiet when i went to get books from the library,

if its what you want to do go for it, i just thought for 3 years im doing it for them!

babyignoramus Mon 10-Aug-09 14:06:12

Thanks Floaty - I've been through everything at OU and settled on going back to Maths - I started a BSc in Maths & Stats 10 shock years ago and have always wanted something on paper to acknowledge my level. So I'm doing the Certificate in Mathematics. I have almost decided on so many OU courses (I have a lot of interests!), and always bottled it at the last minute. This time I am determined and my first mailing arrived today and I haven't freaked out! grin

Plus there's the added bonus of no essays with this course!

floatyjosmum Tue 11-Aug-09 18:23:49

no essays sounds good!

im def glad i did mine when i did.

dont know what financial position ur in but have you looked at proper uni (dont meean it in a bad way) but there is a lot of financial help out and most doesnt have to be paid back x

babyignoramus Wed 12-Aug-09 12:26:43

I'd love to go back to 'proper' uni (I do know what you mean!), however I can't get a loan cos I already had one first time round, plus I have to go back to work and can't afford any more childcare. Plus I'm limited to only going to the ones near me as I don't drive.... there are just too many cons ATM. sad

One day, maybe. At this rate I'll be doing a PhD when I'm 90!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now