Talk

Advanced search

IS ANYONE DOING A MIDWIFERY DEGREE AND HAS CHILDREN

(21 Posts)
lozzawoo Fri 20-May-05 22:43:10

I want to go into Midwifery but being a single mum and doing a full time course will be demanding. Dont know how to go about childcare nursery. Does anyone know how the course is set out each year so it gives me a good idea whether or not to start the course. Thanks.

hub2dee Fri 20-May-05 23:10:55

Hiya, I think user Giraffeski is considering a midwifery diploma, and she is also a single mum. She currently is feeling rough because she drank too much wine last night (but don't tell her I told you). Tickle her tomorrow and perhaps you can compare notes / favourite Ben & Jerrys etc.

lozzawoo Fri 20-May-05 23:19:55

Thanks hub2dee

hub2dee Fri 20-May-05 23:23:28

No worries.

There are also one or two midwives on here IIRC. Perhaps you could contact them for relevant info / advice ? One user is called 'mears'.

Good luck.

giraffeski Fri 20-May-05 23:32:02

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Fri 20-May-05 23:45:11

I am blessed.

oatcake Sat 21-May-05 02:44:40

shifts are poo! look at the time I'm posting - I'm on a night shift...

I would hate to be a single parent and do this course without good solid back up from friends and family.

It is difficult but there are a couple of other girls on the course, undertaking our midwifery training who are single...

merglemergle Sat 21-May-05 06:27:10

Have you looked at the student midwives sanctury ?

Good luck! I wanted to do this but thiught it'd be better if I had kids first. Now-childcare probs! If I train, I'll be (gasp) at least 35 at start.

oatcake Sat 21-May-05 18:55:29

er, yeah, well I'm 2nd year and 36...

still another 30 years working life ahead of me...

snafu Tue 31-May-05 13:05:28

lozza, I'm probably too late for this thread but just wanted to say CAT me if you want - I'm starting a midwifery diploma this Sept and have a two-year-old ds. I have pretty good childcare sorted but it's still going to be tough.

Where are you thinking of applying to? If you check out the student midwives sanctuary there's bound to be someone at 'your' uni who can give you a clearer idea of course set-up. Be prepared for it to be very fulltime and for shifts to play havoc with your arrangements - it's do-able though...

Toothache Tue 31-May-05 13:13:32

I want to train as a MW next year. My ds will be at school, but dd will only be 2. I'm reading this with much interest.

huggybear Tue 31-May-05 13:34:55

im in the last year of my access course and will be doing a midwifery degree next year. i'm really enjoying it. i have 2 boys ages 3 and 1

starlover Tue 31-May-05 13:38:19

I have a place for september, and ds will only be 7 months old!

still haven't made my mind up whether to go or not!

Toothache Tue 31-May-05 13:56:07

WOW Starlover - You've got a space, but don't know if you want it???? At my local Uni they only take 20 applicants a year. I think Scotland is different though.

tamula Tue 31-May-05 14:26:27

I done the first year of my midwifery degree and have taken time out due to my pregnancy and subsequent birth of my dd

What you really need is airtight childcare arrangments. You most certainly will have to do nights on your hospital placement, you could discuss this with your mentor on placement but also heaven forbid your babe is poorly and you take time off, the only time you have to make up days is weekends or nights, they are VERY strict about you making up time lost, as every last hour is accounted for and if they dont all tally up at the end of your degree you may not be able to graduate with your class until you have made up the time.

I would explore what childcare services your uni offers and see if you can get financial aid to that end, but it is my opinion that you will need a back-up plan outside of what University Creches can offer.

Good Luck!

tamula Tue 31-May-05 14:29:33

Lastly...

You probably are well aware but you will need to have support at home too due to the sheer scale of homework, reading, research and what have you that is done out of hours.

snafu Tue 31-May-05 14:58:10

Is that because your ds is still quite young, starlover? It is a wrench to think of leaving them, isn't it? But I'm not sure I could give up my place once I'd jumped through all those hoops to get it

starlover Tue 31-May-05 22:13:54

yeah ours was only taking 22 applicants. I have already deferred once (was supposed to start last september)... so if i don't do it now then i would have to re-apply later on....

i just don't know if i am up to leaving him so much, so young.... i feel like i will regret not spending the time with him while he is little.

snafu Tue 31-May-05 22:19:11

I know what you mean. My ds will be that bit older than yours and I'm still panicking that one day I will look back and regret leaving him. Will he be going to a nursery or do you have family that can help?

starlover Tue 31-May-05 22:26:00

he would have to go into nursery, although there are days when family/friends could help.

tbh i haven't even looked, and now i'm scared i won't be able to get him a place if i choose to go!

it's like an impossible decision to make. I've been through all the pro's and con's SO many times.

snafu Tue 31-May-05 22:30:24

FWIW, I'd get it sorted - you can always shelve the nursery plans if you decide not to go. But at least you'd know where you stood - it would be one less thing to worry about!

It is a really hard decision. I worry constantly about whether I'm doing the right thing or not but ultimately I know the long-term pros outweigh the short-term cons. But sometimes I think I must be barking the course is so full-on, so demanding - but hopefully so rewarding in the end. I know I'd regret it a lot more if I didn't give it a shot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now