Talk

Advanced search

Want to start a PGDE Sept 2010 - I need a plan!

(5 Posts)
MavisGrind Wed 03-Jun-09 20:46:10

Ok, so I need more experience than being a mother to 2 dc's to get me on the course.

Any suggestions regarding the best form of experience with primary aged children? I have all the academic qualifications but I know it's hard if not impossible to be accepted without relevant experience.

DH and myself are currently in the process of separating and ds2 is only 9 weeks old so any suggestions need to be realistic to my situation.

Anyone got any good ideas?? TIA

charliejess22 Wed 03-Jun-09 20:59:39

well offering to be a parent helper in your local school would be a great help and excellent experience but obviously not the best option with such a young baby. maybe you could find a local baby group (sure start ones) that you could get involved in the organising of, and take the children at the same time?
Sorry to hear you and your dh are separating, mine left me when I was 5 months pregnant and my baby is now 6 months old - so I know what you must be going through.

A word of advice though, PGCE's are tough. Very time consuming and demanding. I did mine when I was 21 with no kids and it was hard work. Make sure its the right thing for you to do with your kids.

Good luck x

MavisGrind Wed 03-Jun-09 21:09:10

Thanks Charlie - sorry to hear you too were at the receiving end of a crappy bloke - they really are rubbish!

I'm currently managing with the two little ones (ds1 is 3), sorting out the house, sorting out my life generally post separation and also completing an OU postgrad diploma in my spare time! Suddenly being on my own is making me quite determined to succeed. I'm hoping I can pull off the PGDE too.grin

Haribosmummy Wed 03-Jun-09 21:14:04

Hi Mavis.

I've just applied for secondary Chemistry PGCE in 2009 (my kids are 1YO and due in July 2009) so the little one will be YOUNG when I start, but I'm going for a modular / part time course which will see me qualify in time to start work when both kids are in reception/ nursery.

I, too, have the relevant academic qualifications. I found the TDA website really helpful. They will help with local school placements, so you can shadow teachers in different types of schools.

I also wrote to local schools directly asking for shadowing days and both schools responded quickly and positively.

I offered some tutoring (science / chemistry) to the appropriate age groups - generally friends of my DSDs, which also gave some experience...

But, def. contact the TDA and get all the support you can.

Sorry to hear about your personal circumstances.

HM

charliejess22 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:27:21

Thanks Mavis - yes they are rubbish!!! Since he left me I have moved cities to be closer to my family which meant leaving my job, finding a new one, paying maternity pay back.... just selling the house. I know how you feel about being determined!! I have just got a new job teaching 3 days which I am really happy about.

Defo go for it if its what you want, I wasnt trying to tell you not to!

If you happen to be Leeds/Liverpool then let me know and I might be able to help with placements.

Well done on coping so well with your circumstances and making a plan for your future x x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now