Advanced search

Degrees in early years - anyone?

(8 Posts)
lunavix Sun 08-May-05 20:10:47

I'd like to do a degree in early years but I'm confused about what to go for. Ideally I'd like to be qualified for 0 - 5, poss. 0 - 7 year.

I've seen a few foundation degrees (been looking mostly at uni's in Leeds) and they have a BA (Hons) in Early Years but it's for 3 - 7 and you end up with QTS (which I assume would be for pre-school reception and ks1?)
I'm not too bothered about QTS though, I mean it would be lovely but I'd rather have an Early Years degree (that covers 0 - 3) and then top up with a PGCE

ANy ideas? ANyone seen one?

foxd Sun 08-May-05 22:41:14

Have you checked on the website UCAS. Not sure if it would tell you but vaguely remember it being able to tell you which university covers which degrees.
Hope that some help

crouchingtigeress Sun 08-May-05 22:50:35

The Open Uni have a new foundation degree in Early Years.

Also the London Metropolitan offer an Early Years degree via distance learning.

Good luck with your search

Yorkiegirl Sun 08-May-05 23:01:03

Message withdrawn

Smurfgirl Sun 08-May-05 23:06:33

I know a friend who spent one year doing the one at Leeds met, she found it very unsatisfying (said it was too easy) and left after a year. Not very positive I know, but thats what I heard about that degree!

Nuttynurse Sun 05-Jun-05 20:13:45


My best mate did BA Early Years @ Newman College, Birmingham. and graduated in Sept 2004. She is now running the 2-3 year old room @ in a nursery.

Hope this helps. x

jennifersofia Sun 05-Jun-05 20:43:57

On my PGCE (Institute of Education, London) you can either do foundation stage, which means nursery, reception and year 1, or key stages 1 & 2. Not exactly what you were looking for, but should give you some idea.

sharry Fri 10-Jun-05 14:16:28

Lunavix, I have just completed a foundation degree and am transeferring on to the 3rd year of a B ed in child education at UCLAN (Preston.
This in itself will open lots of doors, and seems flexible so that if i want i can complete over two-three years if i find it difficult!
Hopefully, once this is complete i can then do a PGCE if i want!
Try the uclan website as some courses are run by partnership colleges and there may be one in your area.!
Good luck...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: