Talk

Advanced search

oh bu**er what am I going to do about childcare

(13 Posts)
sallystrawberry Wed 04-May-05 11:12:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lunavix Wed 04-May-05 11:14:18

If they aren't registered CMs they shouldn't have good reputations! It's illegal!

sallystrawberry Wed 04-May-05 11:15:19

sallystrawberry Wed 04-May-05 11:16:16

Ellbell Wed 04-May-05 11:33:52

SallyS... Have you got a list of registered childminders? I moved house a couple of years ago and had a bit of a nightmare finding someone who could take on my two dds - one full-time and one with pick-up from (and sometimes drop-off at) nursery school. I basically wasted about 2 days phoning every single childminder on the list, until I found one about 3 or 4 who could take them. Then I interviewed all the ones who could actually take them, and the one they are with now immediately stood out as being a generally lovely person. (My elder dd cries now if she doesn't get to see her for a few days!) It is boring as hell ringing round people, but hopefully you'll get there in the end. Have you tried hanging around outside the school at kicking-out time and asking people who 'look like childminders' (easy to spot, as they usually have an improbable number of children of similar ages - either they're a childminder or they've had quins !) and ask them if they will have vacancies for your gorgeous daughter in September. Alternatively, does your uni not have a nursery? Most will have places for students with children. I thought (but could be wrong) that schools weren't allowed to discriminate against children based on whether or not they'd been at the school's nursery. The admissions process at 4-5 should be totally separate from the nursery thing - since nursery education is not compulsory. (You could try asking about this on the 'Education' board... I'm sure someone will know.) Are you in the catchment area for the school? Good luck with it all.

Ellbell Wed 04-May-05 11:35:16

Um... seem to have lost ability to write this morning! I meant 'till I found 3 or 4 who said they could take them...'

sallystrawberry Wed 04-May-05 12:28:23

lunavix Wed 04-May-05 15:17:54

Social Services?

You need to phone your local Childrens Information Centre
They'll give you a list of childminders. WHat area are you in?

LIZS Wed 04-May-05 15:39:55

Have you looked here ?

lunavix Wed 04-May-05 15:42:03

Yup thats the one I meant!

chloeb2002 Wed 04-May-05 20:25:25

hello sally just another question... can you ahve two child care options on the funding form? i dont know about the degree but as a diploma student there is only one option? and a max amount for funding which with DD is just about the max for a full time place! I get neighbours to drop DD at school when im on an early and to collect her when im on a late. do you know anyone else at nursery? who woul do the same?

sallystrawberry Thu 05-May-05 12:22:04

foxd Fri 06-May-05 14:56:04

HI,
have just just had to move my ds from his beloved nursery so can access more childminders. He has loved his first week, not impressed with the second the novelty has worn off but after picking him up today he's said that he does like his new nursery.
I felt awful for doing it at first but in the end once get through course he will be reaping the benefits of a better wage coming into the house opening up more opportunities for him as he gets older.
My current childminder did the same thing the sharp intake of breath part. Being at the mercy of others is an absolute sh*** but just think of the end result. How yours and your families life will be improved by the efforts you'll be putting in.
Fingers crossed for you not havin to move nurseries!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now