Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about PGCE fees and funding?

(8 Posts)
saadia Wed 13-May-09 13:28:12

I have been accepted onto a part-time Primary PGCE course for Sep 09 and was looking for some help to check my understanding of how the finances work.

As far as I know I will have to pay the fees myself and will get a bursary of £4000 over the time of the course. I don't think I will be eligible for any other help but I just wanted to check that I wasn't missing some glaringly obvious financial help that I might be entitled to.

runningmonkey Wed 13-May-09 13:35:52

Congratulations!

If you are self-supporting you may be entitled to some form of grant from your LEA and also you can get student loans to cover things like the fees. For both I think you need to apply through the student loans co, although it was 3 years ago that I did my secondary PGCE and my memory is a little hazy.

Oh my uni also did various bursaries and funds to help out different students, it would be worth applying for any that come to your notice as you may or may not be awarded some more that way.

Hope that helps. Hope you enjoy the course too, it is v v v hard work but totally worth it in the end!

saadia Wed 13-May-09 13:40:04

thanks for that info runningmonkey, am really looking forward to it smile.

sherazade Tue 02-Jun-09 10:24:03

saadia, good luck pgce , i'm starting too in sept inshallah!

sam2cats Sat 06-Jun-09 19:04:44

Hi all, I am also starting the part time primary pgce in September, I thought if we did part time we weren't entitled to the bursary, but I may have that wrong...and am going to talk to them about it on monday

Does anyone know how many hours per week we would normally spend at college on the part time primary? I completely forgot to ask them at the interview! Its the IOE London.

saadia Sat 06-Jun-09 22:42:18

Good luck to you too sherezade smile, are you excited? Im starting to get a bt nervous now that it's all sinking in (there are a lot of threads about how stressful it all is). And I'm trying to organise childcare for dcs so once that is sorted I will hopefully be able to focus more.

sam2cats, I will also be doing part-time Primary at IOE. That's not good news about lack of a bursary. I did e-mail IOE to ask about attendance and they replied that we will find out at the induction on July 14th. They mentioned at the interview that the first placement will be two days a week.

sam2cats Sun 07-Jun-09 19:41:58

Many thanks for that Saadia, I'm not completely sure we don't get the bursary, I may have got it mixed up with something else - I hope so anyway....

I was so anxious at the interview I didn't ask them anything useful! I also need to sort childcare so am keen to find out exactly what its going to be...

Good luck with it!

Louise12 Sat 15-Aug-09 19:44:43

Hello all,

I am new today to the site but thought I would say hi as I am also starting a PGCE in September. I have two teenage daughters, one will be in her final year of A levels and one doing her GCSE's and then there will be me!! Alot to organise!

How is everyone feeling about starting? I hope your funding is now sorting itself out.

I'm trying to do some reading in preparation on my subject but it feels quite difficult to judge what will be needed.

Anyway, I hope you all have a good rest of the summer and would love to keep in touch to see how everyone is doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now