Talk

Advanced search

2 diseases ??? need one more

(32 Posts)
nikcola Sun 01-May-05 17:49:35

have to pick two inhearated(sp?) diseases for a massive essay that i havent started yet! im going to do csystic fibrocis (sorry about the spelling) what would be an easy one to do????

driftingapart Sun 01-May-05 17:50:32

downs syndrome?

popsycal Sun 01-May-05 17:51:01

haemophilia - blood problem in males that stops blood clotting?

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 17:51:29

is downs syndrome inherated?

popsycal Sun 01-May-05 17:52:25

are inherited and genetic the same thing?
do you mewan thre parents ave it/are carriers and pass it on, or thst it can happen randomly but is genetic?

you need tamum

popsycal Sun 01-May-05 17:52:49

or hmb

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 17:52:50

i thibk so ill check the essay sheet hold on

SaintGeorge Sun 01-May-05 17:53:43

How about Huntingtons Disease

tillykins Sun 01-May-05 17:54:33

muscular dystrophy?

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 17:57:30

thank you ladies

will start it soon its a biggie

kalex Sun 01-May-05 18:01:45

Muscular Dystrophy,

Mothers carry a recessive gene, that can then be passed to the boys in the family.

Several different types, Duchennes is the one that kills in early adulthood.

Girls very very rarely get it, but can carry the gene and pass it on to their own sons, if you want more info, I can give you links, my stepdad and his brother both have it, if you wanted case studies.

driftingapart Sun 01-May-05 18:05:16

does this help at all? you can click the link for an entire list if you scroll down the page

Doddle Sun 01-May-05 18:19:56

A branch of my family carry the Huntingdon's gene, so if you'd like any information on that i'll try and help.

melsy Sun 01-May-05 18:26:00

theres a degenrative eye disease , carried by mother , but only the boys get it. They eventually go blind from it.

tamum Sun 01-May-05 18:40:03

Hello Do you want something that is straightforward genetically? Like only one gene involved? CF is a good choice certainly, and I would tend to go for a dominant disease for the other one as CF is recessive. Huntington's is good. I can even send you my lecture notes on it if you want (they're lectures I give to first year medical students).

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 18:41:26

yes that would be a great help if you dont mind xxx

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 18:41:59

my email is

nikkiandshireen@yahoo.co.uk

sallystrawberry Sun 01-May-05 18:43:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

highlander Sun 01-May-05 18:44:01

mitochondrial disease.........

mitochondria have their own DNA, entirely separate from nuclear DNA. DNA gets mutated and the mitochondria don't function - cell has no energy. Those tissues with the highest energy demands are affected - brain, muscle and heart. Becasue so many organs are affected, it can be difficult to diagnose. Yet, mitochondrial disease is more common than muscular dystrophy.

Sperm have mitochondria. Eggs have mitochondria. When the sperm and egg fuse, sperm mitochondria are destryed. Thus, mitochondrial disease is ONLY inherited from the mum.

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 18:44:32

yes please ss xx

tamum Sun 01-May-05 18:46:15

Done

Flossam Sun 01-May-05 18:46:51

Nikcola do they have to be disease that are only inherited or can they be diseases that some people get without any prior warning? I'm thinking along the lines of cancers, particularly breast and bowel. Also think about questions doctors ask when checking your health - any family history of heart disease, the two above and also diabetes (type 1). These are all very common but are not always inherited, but can be. There should be loads of information to be found about these. All of them I think have government aims drawn up regarding treatment, preventative measures and early warning systems. HTH.

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 18:48:40

thank you tamum, will let ou know how i get on x

nikcola Sun 01-May-05 18:48:57

Flossam they have to be inhearated

tamum Sun 01-May-05 18:50:13

I'm happy to answer questions if you want- either on here or you can just email me. It's quite a good one to do because it's straightforward- no environmental stuff to consider, always the same gene and so on. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now