Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

would anybody like to share their thoughts on this?????re NHS

(12 Posts)
tiredemma Fri 29-Apr-05 21:35:44

question/ recent research indicates that inequalities in health are widening. Discuss the factors in society that may account for the persistence of health inequalities.
use examples to illustrate your answer.

its for an essay, would just like to see different views on this as obviously, gepgraphical location plays a major part in inequalities in the health service.
any views, examples that you may have come across would be great.

morningpaper Fri 29-Apr-05 21:36:49

Inequalities in health - does sound like it has much to do with healthcare, probably more to do with poverty/diet/education? (What research does it refer to?)

tiredemma Fri 29-Apr-05 21:38:12

Black report, Acheson Report

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 21:46:54

are you doing the access course? I did this when I was on it, but can't remember too much about it

morningpaper Fri 29-Apr-05 21:48:44

There's quite a lot you could steal from this paper:

http://ije.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/full/30/5/1165

too late at night to make link

tiredemma Fri 29-Apr-05 21:50:47

yes starlover,just finishing my first year, wish they would phrase the titles in a more simple fashion.

thanks morningpaper, ill check out that site x

starlover Fri 29-Apr-05 21:53:15

i'm trying to think back...
we covered issues such as low-income families tend to live in poorer quality housing which leads to health problems (no heating, damp etc) and they also tend to have a poorer diet.
differences between inner city housing (pollution etc) and living in the countryside

strugstu Fri 29-Apr-05 21:55:02

all to do with the haves and have nots really. if u think about the determinants of health depend on things like education, employment, housing, socio economic status , ethnicity etc,
example there is a higher amount of infant mortality in the poorer socioeconomic classes, there is a higher amount of mental health problems in the long term unemployed,
there is a relation of poor educational attainment in the those suffering long term chronic disease.
i.e. think of miners (possibly forced down the pits at young age unable or not allowed to complete their education ) and many who now suffer debilitating chest problems etc
interesting data on 'neighbourhood statistics' and DOH site
hth

in equalities in health i would also think postcode lottery etc

tiredemma Fri 29-Apr-05 22:12:15

thanks ladies, its such a complex thing, I dont want to "overload" it but also dont want to miss anything out....

handlemecarefully Fri 29-Apr-05 22:21:56

One of the factors accounting for health inequalities is that the articulate 'chattering' classes know how to work the system, 'relate' better to the Medical Staff, and are more clued up on health issues.

There is a disproportionately higher take up rate of health services amongst the middle classes (even though the needs are greater in the poorer sections of society)

colditz Fri 29-Apr-05 22:45:47

For example, I live in an area where there is not one NHS dentist for 20 miles, I have no car, I cannot afford private dental care, and as a result have not seen a dentist for 8 years.

chloeb2002 Sun 01-May-05 11:56:24

i can recomend a book by Naidoo and wills called health promotion that should gve you most of the stuff you need and reference it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now