Advanced search

whats the difference? BSc or BSc (Hons)

(195 Posts)
strugstu Sun 17-Apr-05 19:34:03

anyone know

Aniles Sun 17-Apr-05 19:36:00

Don't quote me on this but I think the Hons refers to a 10,000 word dissertation being part of the degree.

Hulababy Sun 17-Apr-05 19:36:04

Honours degree is higher than a non-honours degree, and has lower entry requirements I think.

Aniles Sun 17-Apr-05 19:36:49, you can have a degree with Honours (Hons)or without.

Hulababy Sun 17-Apr-05 19:38:00

Aniles - I ahve an honours degree, as does DH - neither of us had to do a dissertation though.

Aniles Sun 17-Apr-05 19:39:07

Oh, oops! like I said, don't quote me on that

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 19:39:38

IIRC, when I was at university (early 90s) an honours degree was anything of a 3rd upwards - so if you got a 3, 2.2, 2.1 or 1 it was an honours degree. A degree without honours, i.e. an ordinary degree is one below a 3rd - not sure what the point of it is though! If you get less than 40% you don't deserve a degree IMO!!

Hulababy Sun 17-Apr-05 19:40:03

DH thought a non-honours degree is when you get less than a third...

...but OU degrees used to be (not sure if still are) non-honours.


leahbump Sun 17-Apr-05 19:40:18

The amount of credit you need to get a honours degree is higher!

At uni we were all on a BMUS (hons) and a few people didn't pass enough modules to get the (hons) bit!! So they were just BMUS IYKWIM.

I got 360 credits for my honours degree! (no dissertation as it was music!)

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 19:40:24

Sorry, that probably sounds harsh. I just mean, it's almost like they don't let anyone fail so it's a bit meaningless I think.

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 19:40:53

Snap Hula! That's what I said!

Hulababy Sun 17-Apr-05 19:42:13

Think leahbump has it - to do with the nu,ber of credits:

At the start of Session 1999/2000 the University introduced the Ordinary degree in place of the Pass degree. A candidate who is ineligible to progress on the Honours degree may be transferred to the Ordinary degree if 75 or more credits have been achieved at the end of the Certificate stage, or if 180 or more credits have been gained at the end of the Diploma stage. There is no direct entry to the Ordinary Degree - i.e. you cannot register on the 1st year of an Ordinary Degree.

The candidate must accumulate a total of 300 credits, with the pass mark for modules as for the Honours Degree. Some compensation and referal is permitted on the Ordinary Degree, and in some circumstances, a student may, having completed the Ordinary Degree, be permitted to return to complete extra modules to "top-up" to the Honours Degree.

Hulababy Sun 17-Apr-05 19:43:24

However, in Scotland it would appear to be different:

Ordinary Degree courses are taken at universities and colleges. They’re usually full-time although part-time and open/flexible learning opportunities are increasing.

In Scotland a Pass/Ordinary degree is awarded after 3 years full time study - the student does not specialise in one subject

lavenderrr Sun 17-Apr-05 19:44:28

I don't know but I got a B.Sc and I had to do a dissertation for year 2 and 3 (was a 10,000 word one too), my degree is not honours but still a worthwhile degree with lots of hard study imho

happymerryberries Sun 17-Apr-05 19:54:37

Dh has an honours degree and he didn't get a third! (a fact which I still tease him about!) Mind you it was from Oxford and they do everything oddly, so it might not be the same everywhere else. He also has a BA in Engineering Science and I have on in Biochemistry....go figure!

morningpaper Sun 17-Apr-05 20:11:39

I have a BA (Hons) and it's never occured to me that it means anything.

(Which just shows that hons degree students aren't necessarily very bright...)

Beetroot Sun 17-Apr-05 20:14:52

Message withdrawn

tamum Sun 17-Apr-05 20:16:08

You can't make general rules, it's different in different institutions. In Scotland in general you can leave after the 3rd year (of a 4 year degree) with an ordinary degree, the last year is called the Honours year. In other places it is used in place of a failed-but-not-catastrophically Honours (like 35%, say), and in others only Ordinary degrees are awarded in the first place.

marthamoo Sun 17-Apr-05 20:17:00

Well, when I was there (many moons ago) a 1st, 2:1, 2:2 and (I think) a Third were all with Honours, but if you just got a pass degree it wasn't Honours.

moo BA(Hons)

Hulababy Sun 17-Apr-05 20:17:22

But thena gain my teachingg degree was a two year (shortened degree) and that is an honours degree too. You had to have a qual to the equivalent of HND (I think) to go on it. DH's and sister's law degrees were 3 years and they are honours. 4 year courses for us were sandwich courses, with work experience in the middle of them.

marthamoo Sun 17-Apr-05 20:17:22

And I only did 3 years.

Twiglett Sun 17-Apr-05 20:17:56

I believed it was just as the moo said

Twiglett BA (Joint Honours)

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 20:18:32

Ok - sounds like Tamum is right from everyone's experiences! For example, i got an honours degree from Leeds Uni but it was only a 3 yr course so that's not consistent with what Beety says. Looks like strugstu will just have to find out for her own institution.

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 20:19:13

I'm with Moo too Twig.

Gobbledigook BSc (Combined Honours)

happymerryberries Sun 17-Apr-05 20:20:08

I did a 4 year hons degree. If I had left at the end of three then I would have got an unclassified honours degree. I think it varies from place to place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: