Advanced search

Where can I retake GCSE's

(32 Posts)
megandsoph Fri 15-Apr-05 23:17:32

K I have decided finally that I want to become a social worker but I only have 2 GCSE's from my school days. I'm 25 now and desperatly ish to take this career path but I have been looking at my local college websites and all that appears to be available for adults is flower arranging ETC.... anyone any idea where I could find a place who will offer GSCE exams or equivalent if there are any....

megandsoph Fri 15-Apr-05 23:19:22

ish = wish sry One of my GCSEs was english would u belive LOL

sparklymieow Fri 15-Apr-05 23:20:13

I retook my GSCE's at college when I was 17 (not quite the same I know) but I can't see why you can't take classes with the young kids

Frizbe Fri 15-Apr-05 23:21:30

Further Education colleges usually offer a fairly wide range of GCSE's are you sure the websites cover all bases? might be best to get a number and ring one of them, they'll soon point you to the right place.

debs26 Fri 15-Apr-05 23:22:10

look for access courses. stage a is gcse equivalent, stage b is a level. you can do them both in two years and you dont have to do as many as you would if doing gcse then a level usually. assuming you pass you are then able to apply for uni

megandsoph Sat 16-Apr-05 08:57:11

thanks both of you
I think I will call learn direct monday see what they can tell me.


happymerryberries Sat 16-Apr-05 09:00:13

Double check the adult ed facilities. Most that I have seen have GCSE courses tuck in amoungst the flower arranging! I would give them a ring and ask them what is available. You will not have the full range of subjects that is offered to kids in school but most cover maths, english MFL and some science. I used to teach a class full of people who had decided to change career as students I have ever had! Good luck!

Trinab75 Sat 16-Apr-05 09:40:22

I am currently studying GCSE Sociology from home, with Oxford Open Learning.

They have plenty of GCSE courses to choose from, if you are interested in studying from home, they have a website. \HERE{}

(hope that works, never tried to do a link before.

Trinab75 Sat 16-Apr-05 09:41:42

No it did not work, sorry!

There website is

nutcracker Sat 16-Apr-05 10:51:03

You can definatly do an access course to get into social work. Most are either full time over one year or part time over 2.

starshaker Sat 16-Apr-05 10:53:53

you can actually go back to school and do them i was considering this myself until i fell pg. just give them a ring and see what they say

megandsoph Sat 16-Apr-05 13:30:13

Trinab75 ty hun.... am doing A level psychology at the mo distant learning with ICS but am having difficulty as I have always been taught better in a classroom enviroment and find it hard to disapline myself with this course, but am happy I have 3 years to do it lol

Am going to ring round some schools on mon

ty everyone

megandsoph Sat 16-Apr-05 13:39:41

ooooh just spotted something on this pdf file from a timetable in my local area and it says English/maths entry level any one idea if this is GCSE or equiv ???

pixiefish Sat 16-Apr-05 14:07:36

No- entry level is the old Certifcate of Educational Achievement- for the kids who don't do GCSE

megandsoph Sat 16-Apr-05 14:17:33

so u canny use it to get into uni??

chloeb2002 Sat 16-Apr-05 15:54:46

In your shoes id just go and do access. Some of my friends at college doing access have gone onto social work. Look for an access to health and social care course! runs over 1 or 2 years and will prepare you far better for uni than GCSE's. What area are you living in?

debs26 Sat 16-Apr-05 19:46:23

have a look at learn direct or ucas if you want to find an access course near you. ucas looked quite good

tiredemma Sat 16-Apr-05 19:57:49

the course that i am on is "access to health science" , there are a few people on my course who hope to be social workers.
most colleges now do access courses.

megandsoph Sat 16-Apr-05 22:23:29

ty deb just looking now at the ucas one did have a peek at the learn direct one last night but with no joy but hopefully will find something on this one

tiredemma Sat 16-Apr-05 22:28:50

where do you live?

can highly recommend access, as not only does it give you the required quals to apply for uni. it also helps you learn how to study aswell.

megandsoph Sat 16-Apr-05 22:44:14

Tiredemma have just found this on the deb recommended it's an access course in doncaster college but have u any idea what this means???

*ITT Yes.Maths.English.Science*

it's on the course details, do u think it could mean like quals u need before taking the course??

tiredemma Sun 17-Apr-05 19:10:09

doubt it, the whole idea of access course is to enable people with no quals to get into uni. i would ring collge though just for clarification.
let me know how you get on.

Peachyclair Sun 17-Apr-05 20:07:24

On our access course, teaching, we can come in with nothing (they assess english at some stage) but you have to attain certain standards at the end in maths, ITT and Englaish. IS that what they mean?

Would recommend Access: best year of my life in many ways, gained so much confidence.

megandsoph Sun 17-Apr-05 22:52:40

will do tiredemma hun ty so much for ur advice

megandsoph Fri 22-Apr-05 09:48:09

whooo hooo yey finally......

have an interview with my local college to be put on an access to higher ed and nursing yeeeeeeeeeey in sept for a year then hopefully will be able to start uni next sept...

ta so much for everyones advice...

is it normal to be this excited?? LOL

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: