Talk

Advanced search

experiences of level 3 study at ou?

(21 Posts)
rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 10:17:45

forgot to put title on this first time i posted oops, so trying again ...

i am contemplating finishing my degree at the open university...i have 4 modules and a dissertation left if i attended a bricks and mortar university, however the ou only takes 240 credits from levels 1&2.

so basically i would have to do entire final year, 120 credits if i did ou. this appeals because i have seen two 60 credit modules i like, so really im wondering how long this will take me?

the modules are childrens literature (EA300) and Shakespeare text and performance (AA306)

has anybody studied these? did you enjoy them? how long did you take to complete them? and what were your other commitments?

or anyone who has studied level 3 modules who has any advice?

thanks in advance!

rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 10:53:39

one more question...i have heard that 300 credits is equal to an 'ordinary' degree (im guessing this means without honours?) does anybody know if this is true? i want to try and do the GTP to be a teacher which is why i need to finish my degree, in which case i would only need to do one module... any info much appreciated smile

KatyMac Sat 28-Feb-09 12:04:12

Yes 300 is an ordinary degree

The course usually have an end date - you aren't given unlimited time to do them

rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 12:23:46

thanks katymac
i need to check again, but i was told credits from my course last 6 years, started sept 09, full time course. got pregnant in the last year, repated second semseter in following year, did nothing last or thcurrent academic year, so i think im going to be fine if i do ou module starting this september...

out of interest, how many 'points' are you personally studying at one time? do you struggle with opther commitments? ive looked through the ou website, but id erally like an idea of peoples real experiences of study alongside family life...

KatyMac Sat 28-Feb-09 12:30:55

I'm on a level 1 30 point & I could manage more....but I'm not sure how much more

I do struggle to complete it (doing my End f Course assignment now) because I have dodgy health & I keep getting ill

I think a 60 pt is about 20 hrs a week so 120 would be way too much _ I hope to manage a 60 pt next

September will run until feb or March then you could start a second 60 pt (I guess)

Niecie Sat 28-Feb-09 12:38:39

I don't know about the specific courses you name but I think if you have done level 1 and 2 courses or the equivilent the step up to leve 3 isn't really that obvious. At least I didn't find it to be so. I did the post grad conversion in psychology at undergrad level which is one level 2 course and 2 level 3 courses and I can't say as I found them any different. Maybe the marking was different and they gave you more leeway on the level 2 but, as I say, I didn't notice anything.

As for how long they take to complete it will tell you in the course description. The start date, end date and assignment dates in between are fixed. You don't get as long as you want to complete them. Usually level 3 courses are 9 mths, running Feb to October although there are exceptions.

If you have a small child I would have thought doing 120 points in one sitting was very difficult unless you were able to put your child into nursery for a large part of the week. You can do a 60 point course by working evenings and weekends for example, but you wouldn't fit in 120 points that way.

rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 12:54:37

i have studied level 3 (i did my second semester twice- pregnant both times thus why i failed it twiceblush )

dont want to blow my own trumpet, but i am confident that i can meet the demands of level 3. its just the time that bothers me- in september my eldest will turn 3, the youngest will be 2 a few months later, so will be a lot on my plate i realise...

i was considering a part time job in the evenings (over 16 hours) and then use the childcare entitlemnet to put them in nursery 2 days a week.

i think it will help that the module i want to do is something im really passionate about, and i have realised i only need to do one 60 point module to do what i want to

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sat 28-Feb-09 13:03:48

I am studying two level three 60pointers at the moment but I am not working apart from the odd bit of freelance and my children are at school. It is perfectly manageable as long as I organise myself properly, but I would NOT try doing it if I was working as well - one 60pointer at this level would be enough to cope with. The work is quite intense as the majority of courses run continuously from Jan/Feb to October with no holiday periods so you need to keep up. There are regular assignments t that need to be completed to deadline and each course ends either with an exam or an end of course assignment for which no extensions are possible. So while you can do the degree in your own time, as KatyMac says, you can't do the course in your own time, once you are signed up you have to keep up.
I find it is mainly not a problem in term time as I have quite a lot of time to work but school holidays are an unmitigated nightmare - trying to carve out study time is very difficult. Obviously with preschool children your pattern will be different but you need to look at your week and work out when you will fit the studying in. They reckon on 16 hours per week per 60-pointer and that seems about right to me (history courses) and I am a speed reader.

KatyMac Sat 28-Feb-09 13:04:44

Would you be able to do some work at the weekends?

I spend 1.5 days doing mine atm so I'm guessing at 3 a week for a level 3 (but you could be quicker than me)

KatyMac Sat 28-Feb-09 13:07:53

ladies can you help me here I'm all confused

rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 13:19:16

my partner works away a LOT, so anytime he is there to take over childcare is a bonus rather than something i can rely upn unfortunately, however we are about to move closer to my family- i have 3 teenage brothers who im hoping will want to earn some pocket money by helping me out with babysitting!

if i can get the kids in nursery 2 days a week i reckon should be fine, especially if a september start would mean finished by jan/feb- have i understood that correctly?

KatyMac Sat 28-Feb-09 13:24:38

Check on the curse you want to do - it will have the dates on it

here is childrens literature (EA300)

&

Shakespeare text and performance (AA306)

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sat 28-Feb-09 14:05:22

Looks like the two courses you want don't run simultaneously - the Shakespeare runs from Jan/Feb to October (like the majority of OU courses) while the Childrens Lit runs from October to June. Also the Shakespeare one ends with an exam and the Children's Lit with an end of course assessment (typically an extended essay of 6,000 words or so).
If you started the Children's Lit course in October 2009 you could then overlap it with the Shakepeare starting in Jan/Feb 2010 but those four months in the middle would be pretty hard work.

rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 14:13:28

thanks ladyG- since i first posted i have found out that i only need to do one module- would then give me a total of 300 points which is enough to do gtp (teacher training)

originally i was looking at this as a means to an end, but i did a childrens literature module a few years ago and loved it so much, so im really happy to do just the OU childrens lit. module from oct- june and then (hopefully) start teacher training a few months later

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sat 28-Feb-09 14:17:53

That's good RosieJoy. I'll be applying for a PGCE myself when I finish these last two modules - good luck with the GTP!

rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 14:27:16

wow, i think you must be very patient to do a whole degree through the OU...what kind of teaching do you want to do?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sat 28-Feb-09 14:36:06

I'll be applying for a secondary history PGCE, although I might also apply for primary as well - I'd like to teach KS2 or KS3/4 ideally - early years is too scary for me. What about you?

rosiejoy Sat 28-Feb-09 14:43:41

i want to do secondary english...do you mind me asking where you are thinking of doing pgce? i am in southwest too, and will go that route if i cant get on a gtp

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sat 28-Feb-09 14:49:59

I am planning to apply to Exeter which has a very good reputation. It is also the only course I can feasibly attend without moving house. Bristol is supposed to be good too.

rosiejoy Sun 01-Mar-09 15:19:10

ive heard from a few people already that exeter is good, bit far for me, but already planning to move to bristol in the near future so im going to have a look there

jennyjones632 Sun 14-Jun-09 22:33:35

Hi,
Don't know if you are already sorted:
I studied to HND years ago, and this year have topped up my HND to an ordinary degree with 60 credits via a modular work-based degree - so I started at Level 3 and have submitted 2 pieces of work that a) gives me an extra 60 credits and b) enables me to get onto a gtp which i shall start in sept 2009.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now