Talk

Advanced search

AA100 - OU Arts who is doing this? Chat?

(14 Posts)
Mimia Sun 01-Feb-09 21:08:20

I think there are a few of us doing this course and seeing as it is about to start I thought I would see if anyone wanted to chat? I'm looking forward to Faustus, but I petrified by Cezanne! Has anyone started Cleopatra yet?

PuzzleRocks Mon 02-Feb-09 08:20:29

Bumping for you.

lou031205 Mon 02-Feb-09 10:17:05

I have a friend doing this, will let her know smile

Frasersmum123 Sat 07-Feb-09 09:39:05

Ooh - will keep an eye on this thread as im due to start in October - I too am not looking forward to 'Art' topics!

listenglisten Sat 07-Feb-09 09:45:48

I would love that artist topics and be terrified of lit! Why does Cezanne terrify you?

NiceCupOfTea Sat 07-Feb-09 19:25:10

Mimia - I've read the Cleo chapter and it looks pretty interesting. Faustus is more my thing - the CD is fab and really helps it all make sense. The language analysis should be ok. Think I'll skim the Cezanne section tonight to get my head around it and let you know what I think. Fun, isn't it? grin

HMC Tue 10-Feb-09 11:20:06

You guys are the February intake aren't you? - I was October and have just completed TMA04 on the built heritage of Ireland.

The October intake were similarly frozen in fear when confronted with Cezanne grin...although I 'aced' that particular assignment [smug wink]

NiceCupOfTea Tue 10-Feb-09 17:25:56

ooooh HMC... the Cezanne chapter left me with a huge headache! Any helpful hints you'd care to share with us Feb newbies [pleading emoticon]????

Oumasrusks Wed 11-Feb-09 13:23:08

I'm also doing AA100 and have finished Cleopatra. I've started reading Dr Faustus. I'm also dreading the Cezanne chapter - mainly because of what people have said about it!

HMC Thu 12-Feb-09 13:56:10

Is the assignment still the one where you are asked to compare a painting by Matisse and Cezanne? The approach I took was to google both painters and read quite voraciously about them (i.e. not just the chapter in the course book). I then really grew to understand what they were about, what influenced them etc and it made me a lot more confident when it came to analysing their work. I felt more of an 'authority' if you like, and less out of my depth than I had initially.

I also prepared by writing a table out with columns for similarities and differences, and used headings like 'composition', 'picture plane' and 'modelling'- I found this really helped me to isolate and identify the similarities and differences. I could then write the assignment quite easily.

Hth

HMC Thu 12-Feb-09 13:59:17

My top tip for time management - don't spend too much time on reading chapters like Faustus, the Diva, Plato etc (anything which doesn't have an assignment relating to it) - just skim them! shock

NiceCupOfTea Thu 12-Feb-09 15:39:05

Excellent advice, HMC! Our TMA is to explain Cezanne's reputation in 500 words thru describing Still Life with Apples. Hmmm, reading outside the course is definitely a must - the course book is supposed to be enough, but i'm not so sure... Any good websites you'd recommend? smile

NiceCupOfTea Fri 20-Feb-09 14:17:14

So, how's it going for everyone??????

Raggydoll Mon 22-Jun-09 20:55:54

i start this in october - pls can you all post more about you experiences - i am finding it all reassuring and terrifying in equal measure...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now