Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have to quit college today

(25 Posts)
fairyfly Thu 07-Apr-05 09:27:35

If your attendance is not 100% they do not pay your childcare. One thing after another has happened to prevent me going in. All genuine reasons. It has just been one hard struggle. I am up to date with my work, take it all seriously, i just cannot work miracles.
Anyway they are going to pay this months childcare and then withdraw the funding.
Lifes a female dog.

vict17 Thu 07-Apr-05 09:28:40

life is indeed a female dog

Fio2 Thu 07-Apr-05 09:29:29

thats crap FWIW I keep missing my college courses aswell, it is so hard when you have kids

Gomez Thu 07-Apr-05 09:30:21

Do they have no discretion at all? Surely as you have been dealing with genuine issues they can't be that harsh. What about Hardship Fund to help with future costs?

Sorry! Doesn't change the fact however that life is a female dog sometimes.

sykes Thu 07-Apr-05 09:30:47

Oh, FF, are you sure they can do that? Do they know all the very real reasons why it was impossible to attend. Surely you can appeal, what about the SU/there must be an appeals procedure? Can your tutor help/counsellor/GP?

snafu Thu 07-Apr-05 09:32:41

FF, that's so crap. Who is that going to benefit, ffs? Am really sorry. Have you spoken to your tutor - surely there must be some leeway.

fairyfly Thu 07-Apr-05 09:35:15

Nah hardship fund wouldn't cover it and tbh i am sick of the pressure. If my children are ever ill i spend the entire time upset and worried as i know i cant afford to miss college. I have this knowledge in the back of my head i will get billed, it makes me feel so stressed. I barely cope financially as it is. I cannot describe how suffocating it is, so fwiw at least that pressure is gone.

Chandra Thu 07-Apr-05 09:35:48

OH no!, please don't quit yet, you really wanted to do this course so don't let it go just yet. Talk to your department, they may advocate for your fund not to be removed. THe student union can do lots. Try to speak to the Welfare Office of the University, they can also convince the administrator of the nursery subsidy that you are doing a very good work even if you have failed to attend some classes. Rules can be bent in special circumstances.

BTW 100% attendance it's just unreasonable. Nor even teachers can guarantee that, we live in an impefect world!

sykes Thu 07-Apr-05 09:38:10

I know it's been hard, but hasn't it also made you happy, painting again and looking forward to next year?

fairyfly Thu 07-Apr-05 09:40:57

I have been through all of this before, i had to beg for funding when i was in court and had a few weeks off for stress. The only way i got the funding was the police getting involved. They are just strict.
I cant live like this anymore.
I will get on the higher course next year, which i was doing anyway. So all in all it makes no difference. Im just sick of fighting.

JanH Thu 07-Apr-05 09:44:59

Good grief, how are single mothers with small children ever going to get anywhere if they can only have financial help if their kids never get sick?

FF, I'm really sorry to hear this, has your tutor appealed on your behalf?

trefusis Thu 07-Apr-05 09:45:20

Message withdrawn

fairyfly Thu 07-Apr-05 09:48:13

Im on my way down in an hour, with my kids, i am not in this week as they haven't gone back to school. I will let the college see this.

ScummyMummy Thu 07-Apr-05 10:03:30

You should at least let them know that they are losing a good student due to their own inflexibility though. Maybe you could write to them or something? I think it's shocking how badly some colleges/courses treat people with children. I would have thought they would be beacons of liberality in this area but have been astonished to find that thay are absolutely not. Mine always argues that they are as lenient as a place of work would be but IMO&E work is much easier as 1. you have sufficient funds to buy in childcare 2. you have annual/parental leave entitlements which you can use to fit your own needs.

Chandra Thu 07-Apr-05 10:06:30

Fairyfly, take it easy, don't stop fighting the decision yet, you may feel very tired at this moment but probably in a week, when children are back to school you may find things are at least slightly brighter.

fairyfly Thu 07-Apr-05 10:39:40

Ill see what happenbs when they go in. I will look at it like a break anyway, im already on the course that starts in sept. Im just cross about the way they make me feel.

anorak Thu 07-Apr-05 10:42:11

Can't we all have a whip-round to keep fairyfly in college?

Chickyboo Thu 07-Apr-05 19:23:03

I really feel for you. Can't beleive how inflexible your college has been.
Good luck in September.

fairyfly Fri 08-Apr-05 14:50:35

Over and done with, walked out. Silly buggers. I am still going to paint until september though and start again then when both my boys are at school. I am actually going to enjoy spending this time with my little boy before he starts infants.

Chandra Fri 08-Apr-05 15:29:43

Fairyfly, one of the things of being an artist is that if you are good, you will be good, with the help of teachers, without them and even if they don't want to.

I found that the most important thing about art school was not the technique, nor the studios, or the capabilities of the teacher. What made all the diference was to be able to have access to an informed like minded group of persons who could provide honest opinions (or critiques) about the work developed. All the rest you can learn in books if you organise yourself but try to stay in contact with your classmates or like minded people so you don't loose access to that important feedback.

Best of luck.

JanH Fri 08-Apr-05 15:31:29

It really got you going with painting again anyway, FF - and you will have the best time with DS2 over the next few months. It's an ill wind.

Still wrong though

Aimsmum Fri 08-Apr-05 16:11:23

Message withdrawn

fairyfly Fri 08-Apr-05 17:56:18

That is sad aimsmum, sorry for that.

I am lucky as i am already on the next course so it makes absolutely no difference.

fairyfly Fri 08-Apr-05 17:57:54

I will miss the equipment though, need to buy myself some tools so i can make my canvas

LGJ Fri 08-Apr-05 18:09:14

That is an absolute disgrace, I am so angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now