Talk

Advanced search

student midwives

(13 Posts)
vickiyumyum Tue 29-Mar-05 19:48:36

hi
i am a 2nd year student midwife at TVU in sunny slough and would love to hear from any other student midwives out there.
i was wondering if anyone felt the same as me, in that they are really enjoying the course and the actual work side of things but are getting bogged down coping with the pettiness of the uni side of things. (not the actual course work, just the whole politics of uni life etc)
it would be great to hear from you all!

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 20:00:07

would love to say that i am, however a m hopeing to be one once ds has gone to school so am about 3 yrs to ealry for this post...sorry

vickiyumyum Tue 29-Mar-05 20:01:38

ahh thats ok thanks for rpleying anyway.
you should def do it as aprt from the things i mentioned on the whole iloveit and wouldn't change my career for a million quid! :0

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 20:04:00

two things i have wanted to do since being "knee high to a grasshopper" were scuba dive out in Oz and become a mw. well if i can get on a plane for the 1st time and fly to Oz then i can become a mw in my own county. that and that the mw that delivered my ds was fanastic and if i can give 1 woman the same memories then the 3 yrs or so that its take will be worth it.

SeaShells Tue 29-Mar-05 20:04:04

Too early for me too, I'm planning on applying to do it starting Autumn 2006

vickiyumyum Tue 29-Mar-05 20:07:19

see al these people who want to be midwives, i only hope that when i qualify i inspire the same feelings in someone else. its a lovely job and i feel so priviliged to be at each birth as they are mostly a happy occassion.

vickiyumyum Tue 29-Mar-05 20:08:03

oops though my spelling is appalling for someone doing a degree. what would i have done withoout spell check! LOL!

snafu Tue 29-Mar-05 20:28:24

Hi Vicki - I start at King's in Sept - can't wait

You'll have to give me the lowdown - what are you loving, what are you hating etc - I am very excited but also nervous as all hell!

tigi Tue 29-Mar-05 21:01:29

can i ask if yiu had any nursing experience before you started the course, as i 've competition is fierce

tigi Tue 29-Mar-05 21:02:19

sorry about grammer ! meant to say 'i've competition is firece'

vickiyumyum Tue 29-Mar-05 21:28:05

tigi - i had absolutley no nursing experience before, i was an it consultant before and left to have my kids knowing that i never wanted to return. met a wonderful midwife in York had a great experience with her care, moved to Reading and had an over baring midwife who wouldn't listen to me just barked orders and told me i was a stupid little girl (21!)so got me thinking i want everyone to have a midwife like the one in York and i know that i can do that, spent 4 yrs thinking about it had pnd with 2nd child, decided that something had to change drastically for mine and my families wellbeing and applied. miracle upon miracle i got a place and haven't looked back.

vickiyumyum Tue 29-Mar-05 21:39:42

snafu - i love most things about it particularly the practical side of things. it can be a bit scary at first, when you start your first anatomy and physiology lectures you didn't realise so much was happening down there, and the first time that you see it happen as a student is magical, all my fellow students remeber the first births that they watched. And then to go on and deliver your first baby, it just gets better and better.
obviously there have been a few not so nice things as well, on the fetal assessment unit i picked up a uterine death for the first time at 28 weeks, not nice having to send mum for a scan and be present for the news, she was a lovely lady and i felt really upset although nowhere near as much as her. and i have also seen babies that were stillborn, alhough not actually at delivery, only inpreparing them for the parents to see. even through this though it is nice to know that you can still do something to help the parents through what is a really sad time for them.
i love the clinics where you get to build up a relationship with the parents and the postnatal visits.
i even don't mind writing my essays as you have plenty of preparation for them, you soon learn about proritisation and the need the to prepare.
the only thing i don't enjoy about the course is that at TVU we have to swipe in and out as a sort of register, its just that the system often fails which leaves us with swipe absences (you have to have 100% attendance on the course to pass) and so most of my uni week is spent tooing and frowing to student services trying to prove that i was there on that day etc etc. and its tedious.
i love most of my colleagues as we are all passionate about what we are doing and i only hope that you enjoy your course as much as i do

snafu Tue 29-Mar-05 22:13:34

God, the swipe thing sounds tedious to say the least. I am so looking forward to it, but am worried as well as it's such a leap into the dark for me, in a way. I have no practical experience (aside from having had my own baby) and sometimes I wonder if I will really be suited to it. But, it's the only career that's ever fired me up and made me feel passionate about doing it, so that has to be a good thing! My first degree is in English so I can write an essay I guess, but it's been a while...

Roll on September...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now