Advanced search

advice on being a student parent??

(12 Posts)
weesaidie Mon 14-Mar-05 10:39:11


I am planning on going back to Uni in Edinburgh in Oct and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on grants, etc. Can't a loan as went previously (and screwed up!) so have already had one!

Also I am a single parent....

Have got into one of my courses so far (Journalism) but am waiting to hear from others, including one of my top choices Speech and Language Therapy, v nervous!


chloeb2002 Mon 14-Mar-05 14:36:36

hard work but worth it the student life! as for the loan dont know if its different in Scotland but i had a student loan out on one course and was allowed to start again with student loans on a another course. Its different funding acording to the student loans company! still all needs paying back so im diploma student instead... couldnt face the debt.
Good luck journalism should be fab!

weesaidie Tue 15-Mar-05 18:43:01

I am very excited I must admit, seems ages til October! Can I ask what you did for childcare? My dd is 11 months (did I already say that!?) and I need to put her in private (ie expensive!) nursery....

BadHair Tue 15-Mar-05 18:51:14

Have you looked on here ? Seems to be lots of advice about what funding you're entitled to.
I work with students who are primarily from England and Wales so have different funding available, but I would say that link should be a good start.

chloeb2002 Wed 16-Mar-05 19:37:42

I have been pursuing the NHS for the last 6 months trying to get funding for a prvate nursey! so far they owe me nearly £1800 and at last my MP has jumped on them and seesm to be getting results.. different courses have different funding, nursing and midwifery are funded by the NHS. Not sure about SALT but journalism should be covered by your equivelant to LEA. I know the LEA on a measns testing basis give up to 85% of childcare costs. In an approved nursery or childminder. Hope that helps...

Beansmum Thu 17-Mar-05 12:17:58

Hi weesaidie, I'm a student in edinburgh, and also a single mum. Where have you applied to?

I don't know much about grants and stuff, this is my first degree so I get a student loan still, but I know you can get IS while you are studying, which might be enough if you can't get any other funding.

IS wont be enough for nursery fees though, my ds goes to a private nursery and I get a childcare grant which covers 80% of the fees and doesn't have to be paid back, I just got it through the student loans company but I'm an english student (from england, not studying english!) so it might be different for you, not much help am I?!

weesaidie Thu 17-Mar-05 18:55:27

Thanks for all your advice guys!

I have applied for journalism (Napier) and Speech and Language Therapy (Queen Margaret's)... I have got into Journalism but don't know about SLT yet!

I think I should get a single parents grant but are you sure about still getting IS? I thought I would definitely lose that!

If I go to Napier there is a grant there worth £2000 which would be absolutely fantastic to get! Fingers crossed....

Beansmum... where and what are you doing? How are you finding it with a wee one in tow!!?

beansontoast Mon 21-Mar-05 09:29:15

hi weesadie,

if you get onto the salt course [good luck]then you will be sent details re : your means tested its name states,its means tested and so awards vary according to your will need to be soley supporting you child/children to qualify for the child care element.
other costs like additional travel to placements can be reimbursed.

the course itself is varied and will study full time most likely, and i find i have to study a great deal in the evenings and at weekends.the first year was particularly demanding due to number of new subjects,acoustics ,bio med,phonetics plus psychology,linguistics and clinicsl studies.

however it is the most fantastic and stimulating degree ever...and well worth it.
im off now cos im in the middle of exams and have very naughtily visited this site!!!! having sworn to myself that i wouldnt.let us know how you get on x

weesaidie Mon 21-Mar-05 09:49:20

I don't know if I am eligible for any help with childcare as I have a horrible feeling they don't have the same help as down South! If they do when you say solely rersponsible do you mean single parent? I have an exP who pays maintenence so would that mean no bursary??

I agree, the course does sound fantastic... don't know if I'll get though (was a bit borderline!)... I hate waiting!

beansontoast Mon 21-Mar-05 22:29:32


i dont know about scotland.sorry if i misled ytou.

assuming that the nhs does issue bursaries in scotland....the booklet they send out is superclear,with lots of examples of bursaries i.e. single mum,three kids.....or singleton living alone,...married with a labrador you are able to guesstimate a rough figure.

it is quite generous on the whole...
the only solid fact i know about the childcare is that the household needs to be on less than seven grand pa.

Punnet Mon 21-Mar-05 23:21:32


Does anyone know who I would apply to LEA wise if I am moving in August? We need to permanently base ourselves in my Uni town and settle kids (3) into school / nursery, but that won't be my LEA at application time.

DOn't know if definitely going; late application. Newport seem keen after I e-mailed them. E-mailed Bath Spa too, the head of faculty there forwarded an e-mail she sent to admissions along the line of 'I know that SOR has closed to admissions, but would be grateful if you would consider this lady when her application comes in'. Promising? Or not? UWE ignoring me which is funny as that is degree I am best qualified for.

Lulu34 Thu 24-Mar-05 22:04:25

hiya weesaidie

try this SAAS link for allied health professions
bursary info

you basically get £1180 for single parents grant and can apply for £1100 for registered child care and should get a larger income from child tax credits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: