Talk

Advanced search

ou newbie - what have i let myself in for?????

(11 Posts)
mrsmortenharket Mon 13-Oct-08 14:42:18

or am i just being a wee bit down on myself?

murphyslaw Mon 13-Oct-08 17:32:00

Oh you are being a bit harsh hmm

I am on my 7th OU course and still love it! Apart from today when I started on SK277 Human Biology and thought I must be mad!

Seriously - it takes a bit of settling down into. Work out a study plan try to stick to it hmm - if you have the opportunity of going to a tutorial go they are great. Also the online community is amazing and you will generally find all the answers to your questions!

What course are you doing?

severmefingers Mon 13-Oct-08 17:34:43

I know exactly how you feel MrsM. i have just started too and shitting a brick over the first TMA.

murphyslaw Mon 13-Oct-08 17:42:50

come on its not that bad - you will get loads of help promise ! wink If all else fails hit the wine!

dustystar Mon 13-Oct-08 17:44:07

They are really supportive so don't panic. Its hard work but worth it in the end. Good lucksmile

mrsmortenharket Tue 14-Oct-08 09:12:13

thanks, most people laugh when i tell them what course i am doing ...

understanding children.

only one or two have been supportive in rl

mrsmortenharket Tue 14-Oct-08 09:13:45

tbh am quite looking forwards to it, i think it's because i haven't been to uni before that i am a bit wary of the unknown.

CapricaSix Tue 14-Oct-08 13:01:37

Hi, I did an Openings course last term that I really enjoyed, am now doing Exploring Science. It seems scary at first, but i am LOVING it. The books are written very supportively and you are introduced bit by bit to everything, well on my course anyway! It's worth getting the relevant Study Guide book too -I worked through most of the Sciences Good study Guide this summer in prep for my course & it was so worth it.

Niecie Tue 14-Oct-08 13:12:34

I did a 'normal' degree at a brick university and then an OU (well a post grad conversion in psychology but it was undergrad courses) and I think the OU is a much easier way to study.

All the books are given to you, no hunting them down in libraries and bookshops. The study guides are in place of a set of lectures notes (usually - had the odd course where they have been pants) and you have a timetable laid out in front on you to work too.

All you have to do is study. As a way of getting a degree it is excellent.

Doing the TMAs is a bit daunting the first time but the tutors know that you haven't studied at degree level before and are there to help. So long as you don't start with a level 3 course you will build up to the harder stuff gradually.

MrsMM I bet you will be absolutely fine. I haven't done your course but it sounds really interesting (I did do child development so if your leanings are in any way psychological I would recommend it).

My only bit of advice would be that it pays to hit the ground running and try and get into a routine of studying asap, otherwise you get behind and can't catch up. Get your work space sorted and try and stick to your study plan and all will be well.

Good luck. smile

mrsmortenharket Wed 15-Oct-08 09:15:42

thanks all, am just waiting for my study stuff to come through, according to the despatch part of the website, it was sent out on 8oct!!

have not long finished an online course in h+s, so am used to studying online but i think the longer i have to wait for these course materials, then the harder it may get to get back into the habit, so to speak.

the saying "ants in pants" comes to mind lol

mrsmortenharket Wed 15-Oct-08 16:01:27

blush

erm, i had read the despatch list wrong. i had read the part for nov 1st (as i should)

but ...

it was nov 2007!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now