Talk

Advanced search

plagarism paranoia?

(6 Posts)
GloriaMumble Thu 09-Oct-08 14:58:59

I'm doing a pt science degree, currently in 3rd year. One of the guys I started with is repeating his second year because he failed to hand in any practical write ups last year. He's asked if he can "look at" my write ups from last year to give him an idea of what he's supposed to do.

I'm happy for him to look at them but what if he wants to take them away. I know I should say no because if he does copy anything, both of us will get punished but how can I say that without seeming to accuse him...?

trumpetgirl Thu 09-Oct-08 20:37:08

I'm doing a maths degree, and have basically been told that as long as 2 pieces of work aren't exact copies of each other, then we won't get accused of plagarism!
I am happy to go through work with friends if they are having problems, but unless I know them really well, I wouldn't give them my work as I don't want to get in trouble.
Personally, the fact that he didn't bother to hand in any work would make me suspicious enough to not give him it.
I don't think you really need an excuse though. If he is planning to copy it, then you shouldn't worry about sounding as if you're accussing him. If he isn't planning to copy it, he will understand why you don't want to lend your work to him.
If you need an excuse, then I think you should arrange to meet him and take 1 write up with you. If he asks if he can take it away, tell him that he can't as you need it.

GloriaMumble Fri 10-Oct-08 07:31:40

luckily he didn't turn up to lectures yesterday (!) so the issues put off for a while.

I think I'll play it that, if he asks again, he can look (but not take a copy) and if he wants, I'll email the raw results - we did work together on the practicals so he should have them anyway.

You're right trumpetgirl, he should understand and tbh I don't know why I'm so concerned about upetting him anyway - he's never lent me notes when I've missed lecturess or anything.

Kind of ironic that I posted this question twice! But yours and lion's responses have at least proved I'm not being completely paranoid.

pReachyTheExorcist Fri 10-Oct-08 07:57:10

I've just graduated and we were the first year to use Jisk anti-plagiarism software at Uni, nothing counted as submitted until we had uploaded it to the checker.

If a student had copied paragraphs from our essays (changing the odd owrd wouldn't help btw) we'd have both been pulled up on it and potentially expelled- a few were.

TBH if a student wants to cheat they will- I know of a person who just got an ex-student to do essays; another who just went and shagged any PhD student he could until he'd got his essays done!

trumpetgirl Fri 10-Oct-08 22:04:02

If he is skipping lectures already, I think that goes to prove that you definitely shouldn't trust him with your work.
I think that if he's the sort of person who is slacking off and trying to copy work, then you should try and get as far away from him as possible.
I had a friend who didn't technically copy off me as I wouldn't give her my work, but didn't bother learning anything. So when I tried to help her, I ended up practically doing it for her anyway. Not only was this a waste of my (very precious) time, but she was just being bloody lazy and it did my head in. So I kept telling her I was too busy... she got the hint in the end!
You don't want to befriend someone who may do this to you. You need to concentrate on your degree. Lecturers are paid to teach students, and while I am all for working in study groups, helping him isn't going to benefit you in any way what-so-ever.
Get rid, I say!

trumpetgirl Fri 10-Oct-08 22:09:03

pReachyTheExorcist - we had someone at uni who got soooooo drunk the night before his finals that he felt he couldn't sit his exam. So he phoned up a mate (who had graduated the year before) to sit the exam for him. They both got done for fraud!!! Haha!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: