Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Students - what would you think if your lecturer....

(36 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 02-Oct-08 12:13:14

...was really badly dressed, wore jeans all the time and had a terrible haircut, rotated between about three different tops that they wore every day, etc? Would it bother you or would you not care?

TheFallenMadonna Thu 02-Oct-08 12:16:25

It wouldn't bother me. I'd notice of course wink I might even spend some time pondering the haircut. But otherwise - meh.

EdwardCullenCanHaveMySoul Thu 02-Oct-08 12:18:15

That was the majority of my lecturers! Didn't bother me, guess I thought they had more 'intellectual' things on their minds other than dressing with flair!!

tiredemma Thu 02-Oct-08 12:19:04

It wouldnt bother me, as long as they knew what they were talking about.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 02-Oct-08 12:19:16

thanks FallenMadonna smile
But you wouldn't judge her? You wouldn't think 'we're meant to listen to her about stuff but she can't even get her life together enough to get a decent haircut?'

smurfgirl Thu 02-Oct-08 12:20:11

Depends on subject, but when i did my english degree they all looked like that tbh.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 02-Oct-08 12:22:03

Nah. It would be idle speculation. My last tutor btw had truly awful hair. I drifted off once or twice imagining what she would look like with some layers. But she was great!

TheFallenMadonna Thu 02-Oct-08 12:23:17

Of course I would have drifted into a different reverie had she been highly polished. I'm not the most conscientious of students really.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 02-Oct-08 12:25:58

You see, students these days are mostly much chic-er than they used to be. They used to be about even with the staff, I reckon, but now they are much smarter IMO.

But it's good to know the consensus is staff can still be scruffy smile

TheFallenMadonna Thu 02-Oct-08 12:27:33

Is this you Kathy? Get a haircut grin

Indith Thu 02-Oct-08 12:40:03

Perfectly normal. One of mine bless him started the year a couple of weeks late having just had his 2 weeks paternity leave, he wore the same jumper every day. A friend of mine said she wanted to take him home and do his washing grin He still wears the same bloody jumper all the time 2 years later though!

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 02-Oct-08 12:40:57

LOL - when there is a big enough hole in my diary! Meanwhile I'm just wandering around being self-conscious and hoping the content of my lectures will be interesting enough to distract them.

zippitippitoes Thu 02-Oct-08 12:41:41

lol if its a woman obviously would judge her crap lazy etc

a mna it weould be fine

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 02-Oct-08 12:43:42

Ah that damn double standard again wink

witchandchips Thu 02-Oct-08 12:48:08

I consider it my duty to look scruffy and a bit mad otherwise they might think i spending too much time on my appearance rather than looking after them

it is a given that whatever you wear they will take the piss out of you in private so better imo to look as though you are not trying.

crokky Thu 02-Oct-08 12:54:10

If I saw someone like that, I would think I had found my long lost twin grin and would pay extra special attentino to the lectures!

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 02-Oct-08 12:58:56

Well naturally Witchandchips, not having time for a haircut is a result of my dedication and nothing to do with my spending all my time on MN grin

zippitippitoes Thu 02-Oct-08 20:56:18

can the dtudents actually see you well en ough to comment on your clothes or hair or are you projected on to a big screen as u are only 6 inches high lol

phdlife Thu 02-Oct-08 20:59:14

I took witchandchips' position, back in the day.

lol zippi

phdlife Thu 02-Oct-08 21:01:49

I did used to have a lecturer who literally, physically, wound himself up while he talked. He'd start with his arms crossed and end up hanging onto his hair with both hands, letting go occasionally to gesture.

THAT I noticed. what he wore, not so much

Romy7 Thu 02-Oct-08 23:25:18

i only notice the irritating verbal tics.

they've all given up 'umm' in favour of 'okaay' where i am.

drives me up the wall. i counted 42 in an hour.

avenanap Thu 02-Oct-08 23:26:49

You're there to learn from them, not copy their style. wink

It really wouldn't bother me. I probably wouldn't even notice to be honest.

Marina Thu 02-Oct-08 23:30:56

I agree with witchandchips
If you are uber-trendy, that's a bit sad at your advanced age
If you are taking a relaxed line on image, you are a mad old baglady
Just give in and allow a small minority to have a good sneer, the rest will be more interested in what you have to say
All the most inspiring profs I had as a student looked as though they had slept in their clothes and cut their hair with the kitchen scissors
The ones who tried to be hip and trendy were mostly rubbish to listen to and upsetting to see

sallystrawberry Thu 02-Oct-08 23:31:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marina Thu 02-Oct-08 23:32:09

Sorry Kathy, I should have said that I speak from the perspective of a tutor librarian in HE - double whammy of contempt ahoy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now