Talk

Advanced search

GCSE - how many hours a week do you study?

(5 Posts)
MrsMattie Sun 21-Sep-08 14:18:05

I'm doing a Maths GCSE (home study). Got the materials last week and have finally sat down today to look through them and get the ball rolling shock argh!

Trying to put together a study plan. I want to take the exam in early June 2009. I've got six rather weighty modules to get through before then, each with a marked multiple choice test and test paper to submit. I can pretty much submit them when I want (takes the tutor 10-14 days to mark and post back to me).

How many hours a week should I be studying?

I was going to start with 6 hours a week (2 hours a day on 3 days in the week when DS is at nursery) and see how I go - but is that too little, do you think?

Forgot to mention - I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my second child !!

MrsMattie Sun 21-Sep-08 14:18:54

Sorry, should have said - the exam counts for 80% of the course and consists of two papers 92 hours each_ - that's what I'll be taking in June 2009.

Kif Sun 21-Sep-08 14:24:57

I'd try to go through the whole course before your due date, then use the rest of the time to revise. Practice makes perfect with Maths,

In a school you'd do 3 hours a week plus homework - so 6 hours sounds about right.

Remember to do lots of worked examples

ethanchristopher Sun 21-Sep-08 17:53:06

im at school and have a 2 year old ds

i am taking my maths gcse and i have 3 maths lessons a week so 3 hours then we get homework so its an extra hour

so all in all i do about 4 hours a week

i think 6 hours is great and you shud def do well!

are you taking other subjects and are you stil at school?

MrsMattie Sun 21-Sep-08 19:49:40

Thanks for your replies smile

Kif - no way on God's earth can I get through all the topics in the next 9 weeks (when I'm due)!. I'd need to study every day for at least a couple of hours to achieve that! Argh! I only have two afternoons a week child-free, plus a few hours at weekends, so have to make do with that, really....

ethanchristopher - I'm not doing any other study at the moment. I actually have my degree, but am a SAHM and thinking about retraining next year, but will need a Maths GCSE to get into the training programme I want to do.

I knew failing my Maths GCSE at school would one day come back to bite me on the bum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now