Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

First Years...come and share your experiences

(468 Posts)
JDBfangirl Sat 20-Sep-08 10:30:50

College, Uni, OU or anything else. How's it going? The good the bad and the obscure. smile

FairLadyRantALot Sat 20-Sep-08 10:36:48

Hallo....thanks for starting it

Well, I am starting on my Occupational Therapy degree course on Monday, but will enrol tomorrow.
(JDB, I know you already know that, btw grin...not gone completely bonkers....erm...yet...it is working progress though grin)

tammybear Sat 20-Sep-08 10:49:33

I've finished my induction week. I'm doing a Foundation Degree Creative Enterprise in Photography. So far so good, except for I couldn't enrol into Uni (their fault) so gotta wait til 8th October to do so, but still get to go to my lessons. Lessons start Tues. Can't wait grin

JDBfangirl Sat 20-Sep-08 14:50:14

Fairlady... just wait till you're snarling at the PT students!

Guess I should add something here to...

I started my nursing degree on monday. Survived freshers week but the proper stuff starts this monday.

Already have 1000 word formative essay on why I want to be a nurse due in 2 weeks (gulp!)

JDBfangirl Sat 20-Sep-08 14:51:16

Oh and welcome TB. Sounds interesting course!

tiredemma Sat 20-Sep-08 14:54:34

which uni are you at JDB? (im going into my third year of nursing degree on monday!

squigglywig Sat 20-Sep-08 14:59:06

Can I join?

I'm at home learning Swedish this year, studying for the TISUS <wail>. And then in Uni next year reading PPE provided I pass <wails again>

JDBfangirl Sat 20-Sep-08 15:45:24

Cumbria - Fusehill St

FranSanDisco Sat 20-Sep-08 15:56:08

I will be doing BA(Hons) Early Childhood Studies. I have my welcome week bits starting on Tuesday 23/9 and assume classes begin the following week blush. I'm a mature student so hope I'm not the oldest in the class. Just want to get the first couple of weeks out of the way and then I'll be fine (I hope).

tammybear Sat 20-Sep-08 20:28:50

Oh I'm a mature student too (hate that term) and all my class are 18/19 year olds, but I've seen in other classes that there are my age and older students too.

Notalone Sat 20-Sep-08 20:57:24

I am starting an Occupational Therapy Course on Monday at the grand old age of 30!. Have been fine until I spotted a girl who looked about 14 reading a horrendous looking book on Criminal Law on the train today. Now I have started questioning whether my poor little brain can possibly compete with these young 18 years olds who have been studying all their lives and know how to write an essay without really having to think about it. hmm Will be at Sheffield Hallam if anyone else is going there too <<waves and shouts Hi!>>

On a completely superficial level DP apparently heard on Radio 1 today that all the big department stores go round the uni's seeling end of line stuff at stupid prices during freshers week. The DJ said you can kit your whole wardrobe out for £20. Does anyone know if this is true?? <<hopeful emoticon>>

JDBfangirl Sun 21-Sep-08 13:59:38

Of course your brain can cope Notalone, you just need to cram it in between the "how to wash nappies" and "what on earth am I going to make for tea" sections in your brain.

Not sure about the clothes q though. It's worth trying though

Notalone Sun 21-Sep-08 17:31:42

Ah - thanks for that JDB. Am sure there will be plenty of "AARRGGHHH - I can't do this" moments but hopefully lots of good moments too! How are you feeling about this week?

Fairlady - how did enrolment go today? First day for us tomorrow smile

tammybear Mon 22-Sep-08 09:59:33

Hope that is true Notalone! But once you're registered and have your student card, you can get 10% off in stores which will come in a little handy towards Christmas.

OsmosisBanana Mon 22-Sep-08 16:02:24

Hi,

had first day of induction wk today. God, how bored was I. We had to do an orienteering questionnaire 'what poster is on the notice board by lecture theatre x' type nonsense.

Then the usual 'getting to know the person next to you then give a brief description'

Grrr.

Still, useful for the shy / angst ridden 18 year olds who prob haven't had to talk to anyone other than school mates as much as us 'mature' (Ha!) students.

Still, tomorrow get to meet my actual course mates rather than tutor group, only one of which is on my course. I think that's a bit odd.

Still, registration was much easier than I remember the 1st time round... And it's sunny smile

JDBfangirl Mon 22-Sep-08 19:47:02

Osmosis.. that sounds...err odd!

First 'proper' day today and boy is my head swimming. Keep having 'OMG I'm not sure I can do this moments'

Tomorrow is much of the same. I do have my gym induction on wednesday though which will be handy after my study period!

LollipopViolet Mon 22-Sep-08 20:02:47

Had my first day of lectures today. Wooooh, it's a lot to take in. I'm only 18 too (no kids though, not til after uni!) and I can't write essays to save my life!

FairLadyRantALot Mon 22-Sep-08 20:34:09

Hi All ...so many people joint the thread, wohoo
I enroled yesterday and started Freshers week today. So far so good....I am still grinMet the personal Tutor today and she seems totally lovely and the other Students also seem nice (so far ;))
Quite a few from that Mandatory Selection day were there....so we all made it, lol!
Still a bit daunted, but not quite as freaked as I was last week leading on to this, lol!

Tammy, that sounds like a great course &#61514; but oh dear at all the other students being really young...not that there is anything wrong with young students, of course...but to be the only mature student...on my course there are lots of mature students...one gentleman is around 60 I think...hard to guess the age...iykwim...but I think it’s great!

JDB, yikes at already having an Essay to write.... glad you survived your first proper day

Squiggly....what is PPE?

FSD, I looked into the Early Childhood Studies and really liked it, but OT won in the end, lol!

Notalone, you will be fine, I am sure...remember I am even older than you grin
Enrolment was a bit of a mare, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg
queue....luckily we had gorgeous sunshine....so, at least didn’t get wet whilest queuing &#61514; And they went round with water and Juice and Lollies and Sweets....
took dh and Kids with me so that they could look around campus, but they were moaning once we got there, already bored ,before they even left the car....that did pee me off...how dare they....for 9 years of our marriage I moved around with dh, leaving my Homecountry to start with and for es I went round several schools with him to find the one that was right for him, go to all the frickin parents evenings/plays /assemblies for pretty much all his school career, and they have to make a fuss if I ONCE ask them to do something for me....grrr....the little ones enjoyed going around mummies school, though, bless...but I hoped for more support from dh, tbh....hohum.
What did you do today? We had a session about OT in relation to Northampton University, met the Deans etc..., had a session about personal development than Uniform fitting and then met our personal Tutor.
The Uniforms seem uncharacteristically quite confortable, but of course they are not the most stunning and flattering attire, lol.....! But apparently on many placements you don’t even wear Uniform anyway.
Had a list of all the places that offer placements to our Course, and there is a good variety and plenty nearish by....so, am hoping that I don’t have to travel far on Placements.

Osmosis, what course are you doing?

FairLadyRantALot Mon 22-Sep-08 20:35:37

Lollipop...it's probably quite overwhelming for all of us, lol...no matter how young or old we are!

OsmosisBanana Mon 22-Sep-08 20:38:05

I think PPE is philosophy, politics and economics. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's an Oxford Uni degree.... Have we a genius amongst us?!?!?

I'm doing BSc in Nutrition. First semester I get to grow germs and wear a lab coat n everyfink!!

FairLadyRantALot Mon 22-Sep-08 20:48:57

Wow, Philosophy/politics and economics....must have someone ratehr bright in our midst

Oh and you doing Nutrition....that was somehting I looked into, aswell...but was worried that I would not have had what it takes...I suppose you kinda have to be good at science subjects grin
I looked into a fair few courses, tbh....I looked at Socialwork, Nutrition, Early Childhood Studies and OT....but felt OT would be the best course for me....what with my Nursing backgrouns...it seems to have all those bits that attracted me to nursing (all those years ago) without all the "bad" bits that I started to dislike once being a Nurse...

OsmosisBanana Mon 22-Sep-08 21:11:07

funny you should say that, I left the NHS on Friday... grin

FairLadyRantALot Mon 22-Sep-08 21:17:49

lol....were you a nurse then before?

OsmosisBanana Mon 22-Sep-08 21:25:44

No no. PA. But I feel your pain! Used to work with the Community Midwives quite closely too.

Same old story. No money for staff, no staff, poor care due to no staff!

tammybear Mon 22-Sep-08 21:29:21

Got my first proper lessons tomorrow. Don't know why I'm getting so nervous. I've met my classmates, I've met my teacher, I know where my room is, I'm enrolled... Just the idea of tomorrow being the first day of the next 3 years is quite scary! And my dd's first day going to after school club too. I'm nervous for her as well bout that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now