Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So, who has OU exams in the next few weeks?

(45 Posts)
ETsmum Fri 19-Sep-08 22:55:43

I am doing mine for KE312 - Working togethr for children - on the 10th Oct. Will hopefully be my last one for my Hons on my BSc Open IF I pass. Wondering if others would like to join me for a bit of a mutual support thread/kick up the bum when I should be revising!

tangarine Fri 19-Sep-08 23:10:08

Oh yes, me please ETsmum - I'm doing B173, Fundamentals of Senior Management on 6 October as the first part of an MBA. I was very good and spent from 9.30 - 2pm in my local library revising today (if stay at home, things like cleaning the kitchen cupboards and changing bedsheets become strangely attractive grin). Would have liked to do more tonight but dcs didn't go to bed until after 10pm and I couldn't face getting the books out again.

goodasgold Fri 19-Sep-08 23:13:37

Me! A297 Reading Classical Latin. Just for fun. Very worried about the exam now. I haven't done enough work.

tangarine Fri 19-Sep-08 23:16:02

When is your exam goodasgold? And what do you have to do in the exam?

goodasgold Fri 19-Sep-08 23:20:06

It's 8 October, I have to answer some grammar questions then translate a piece of Latin into English. I've scored well in the TMAs, my average is 82.5%, so it will be a shame if I don't pass the exam.
Yours sounds much harder, in the Business School?

MarsLady Fri 19-Sep-08 23:30:12

Me! I have a french ECA due end of next week to Walton Hall and an oral exam on next Saturday morning at 10am.

tangarine Fri 19-Sep-08 23:32:30

Gosh, you have done well. Did you do Latin at school?

I'm waiting for my last TMA to come back. It's been a slightly odd course, in that there are lots of different topics, some of which I was familiar with and others which were completely new, and no obvious linkages. I'm only now beginning to see the links between themes as I revise. I do want to pass this time round, as I can't face re-sitting as i've got too much else going on in the next few months to keep the momentum going. It's 60 points, so a hefty chunk of the eventual MBA.

goodasgold Fri 19-Sep-08 23:41:17

Marslady the ECA at Walton Hall sounds daunting good luck!

Tangarine I did do Latin at school. I wish I had more time /less commitments to devote to it. Maybe I should have left it until my children are older but I thought DO IT. Your MBA will be well worth it, and 60 points is a lot of work. Again best of luck with the revision and exam. It stinks when you feel like washing up/ sorting out the spare room etc.

tangarine Fri 19-Sep-08 23:44:11

MarsLady, how are you finding the ECA? I'm going to take a break from the MBA as I have a lot going on over the next few months, but was thinking of doing a 10 point Openings course in psychology to keep me in the study groove. It's 2 TMAs and an ECA, but I can't find much info about what an ECA entails.

Good luck with the oral next week!

tangarine Fri 19-Sep-08 23:46:35

My TMA just came back! I did far better than I had expected, which has pleased me, but also made me dread the exam even more!

CaptainStellaMaris Fri 19-Sep-08 23:59:27

Goodasgold, I am doing A297 too! Have also done well in TMAs, but dreading the exam as I can't remember anything without the books!

ETsmum Sat 20-Sep-08 09:27:17

Ohhh, how lovely to see I am not alone

Good luck to you all. I have my last tutorial this am (a telephone one as live in the Channel Islands). Can't wait to get it over with!

Tangarine - my childhood course seems strangely appealing after reading the title of yours Well done for doing such a chunk or revision, I am an expert procrastinater at the moment.

Goodasgold (is your name a reference to the Beautiful South song)? - oooo, Latin Havent done for about 15 years, but have toyed with doing a course in it "just for fun". for some reason it appeals much more now than when at school.

MarsLady - the ECA sounds okish....the oral hmm I remember my slightly potty french teacher miming things to me during my tape recorded oral for GCSE.

tangarine Sat 20-Sep-08 13:32:05

Hi ETsmum,

Hope the tutorial went well. My last one is next week when we will be discussing exam techniques smile. I'm being sponsored through the MBA by my employer, and as I'm having time off to revise I feel that I have to sit down and get my head around the course materials.

Boyswillbeboys Sat 20-Sep-08 13:39:40

Good luck everyone! I am in my final year - if I pass that is! Doing DD308 and have an ECA this year instead of an exam. Two weeks to finish it but I am finding it really hard to get down to it and start writing! Keep being distracted by other things that need doing. BUT I definitely prefer this to revising!

MarsLady Sat 20-Sep-08 14:24:13

The ECA is an end of course assignment about 300-400 words. I need to have written it last week. Wednesday is the last day for it to go in the post. Sigh...

ETsmum Sat 20-Sep-08 17:47:13

Hi All

Tangerine, tutorial went fine thanks. We went over bits for the exam, including 3 questions from the specimen paper which were ok. Pleased that you are getting time off to revise. Pleased I only work p/t at the moment or I would be going crazy! (F/t after my exam, that needs another support thread altogether)!

Boyswillbeboys - remind me what DD308 is.....sure I looked at it a while back, for the simple reason that it had an ECA - definitely preferable to an exam Know the getting down to it is the hardest part....for TMA's I start by just trying to write something, even if it isn't very relevent, then cutting bits later.

MarsLady, so what's the ECA got to be about? Not that I am good enough at French to offer help btw, just nosey

tangarine Sat 20-Sep-08 20:12:32

Only 3-400 words - sounds like a bargain!

MarsLady Sun 21-Sep-08 10:49:33

In french! lol

tangarine Sun 21-Sep-08 21:19:01

Ah, je mange mes mots!

MarsLady Sun 21-Sep-08 22:35:50

bien wink

Boyswillbeboys Mon 22-Sep-08 13:36:39

Well my ECA is 3,000 words not 300 and I am really struggling!! DD308 is a brand new course this year - Making Social Worlds. Overall I have really enjoyed it, there is much less reading than I have had on previous courses and it is a real bonus not to be revising right now although I actually do ok on exams (last two courses my Exam component scored higher than the TMAs!!)

tangarine Tue 23-Sep-08 08:37:48

Boyswillbeboys well done on your exam results - our tutor has warned that we are likely to drop 10-15% below our TMA average in the exam so it sounds like you did unusually well to go up.

Is the ECA just like another TMA then?

Off to reacquaint myself with Block 2. I can't believe how much I have forgotten smile.

sandy4 Tue 23-Sep-08 10:05:30

hello! good luck everyone!!!

I have an ECA due on friday for W100 (OU law) & no exams this year.

Did an OU degree years ago (social science).

I am usually a mess in exams but my best one was when I just thought - sod it, relaxed & actually enjoyed it. My worst exam was when I downed a can of red bull before hand hmm(had been up all night revising), wouldn't advise that ... at all.

Right, back to it smile

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 10:06:31

DD307 (Social Psychology) on 14 October.

<sob>

Boyswillbeboys Tue 23-Sep-08 11:32:48

Good luck with DD307 - was tempted to do that this year but chose DD308 instead. Tangarine - the ECA is like an extended TMA, you have to go beyond the coursework, do a bit of independent research etc and try to pull together theories from across the course rather than focussing on one chapter. Can't imagine how hard it must have been before internet, all those hours slogging away at the library!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now