Talk

Advanced search

Essentials for University

(40 Posts)
3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 12:29:12

So, what are teh things you will essentially need when starting a degree...

what things can you not do wihtout...which are just extra perks...

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 12:30:03

firstly start spelling correctly....lol...
that was the and without

PuppyMonkey Sun 07-Sep-08 12:30:56

A grant.

3littlefrogs Sun 07-Sep-08 12:32:33

No grants these days - just loans, that have to be repaid.

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 12:33:22

well...luckily I am starting OT, so, the course itself is paid for!

Was thinking about materials more...

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 12:37:18

It depends on what course you are doing - eg an art course will require more materials than your average course...

I would also just buy the essential stationary items and then hold off for a week or two to get the feel of it and then you will be in better position. Also, don't dash out and buy the books recommended asap - you can often find them in the 2nd hand section of Blackwells for a fraction of the price - I learnt the painful way after paying out a fortune on Biomedical Books which are ££££!!!!

3littlefrogs Sun 07-Sep-08 12:37:25

A laptop and printer and a supply of flash disks/pendrives. Failing that, find out where you can get access to these.

Paper, notepads, ring binders, presentation folders, polypockets, flash cards, felt pens, highlighters, pencils etc.

Stapler and staples, big chunky paperclips.

Clothes for attending lectures, clothes/shoes for practical assignments.

Is that what you mean?

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 12:53:32

yup...

although never considered going naked to the Lectures grin

3littlefrogs Sun 07-Sep-08 13:00:48

grin

I did a nursing course, so obviously was thinking of suitability in that respect. - ie comfort, hygiene etc.

3littlefrogs Sun 07-Sep-08 13:01:32

For example, where I work we have a "bare below the elbows" rule.

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:06:28

oh right...well, for Placements I will obviously have a Uniform anyway...

and well, I suppose when going to University, I probably would wear Jeans and Tops...as that is what I am most comfortable with...I assume that would be o.k.?

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 13:07:10

What course are you doing?

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:09:18

Occupational Therapy

PussinJimmyChoos Sun 07-Sep-08 13:10:11

Wow smile

Gotta dash! Ds awake from his nap!

3littlefrogs Sun 07-Sep-08 13:29:27

Jeans and tops fine - universally acceptable.

Consider a comfortable bag or rucksack (small one) so you don't hurt your back lugging books etc. Once we have children our backs are never as good.

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:40:53

certainly true
Do you take your Laptops to University?

I have a Laptop...but not sure I will be keen on lugging it around all the time...

I bought a Dictaphone recently, and am hoping to be able to use that...not instead of notetaking....but in order to be able t go back to bits of a lecture that I might didn't get first time round...

bought all of the books that we had on a preparationlist....some are textbooks...but I bought them all from Amazone, E-Bay and AbeBooks...so, saved money there....
!

As in stationary...what do you take wiht you to University...I mean, would a notepad and a few pens/pencils be enough...

Heated Sun 07-Sep-08 13:43:20

Are you going away to uni & staying in halls?

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:45:30

erm...no....I have a family to look after....don't think they let me...wink

I am a mature student...so, probably wouldn't enjoy that bit of student life anyway....

3littlefrogs Sun 07-Sep-08 13:46:32

Flash cards and blutack are good for revision.

I had the bones of the hand and foot on flash cards on my fridge for weeks. I am a visual learner and therefore found visual prompts very helpful.

me23 Sun 07-Sep-08 13:46:35

hi good luck with your course. I'm starting uni on 15th to do a midwifery degree. Comfy shoes is a must for long shifts. another thing is be careful about using dictophone as some lecturers will not allow you to record them so make sure you get their permission first.

Heated Sun 07-Sep-08 13:50:51

Then think you've got it sussed. You don't need a laptop to take into uni, just to write your essays on at home. Pen and paper for making copious notes.

And casual clothes for lectures/tutorials. Once on placement you might have to be casually smart, like doctors are under the white coat, unless the uniform is from head to foot?

ilovemydog Sun 07-Sep-08 13:55:18

change for the xerox machine

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 13:58:57

Oh, yes I definitely would ask for permission first.

As for comfy shoes....at my age (lol) I kinda wear comfy shoes anyway...when Nursing (many moons ago)we always used to wear Birkenstock shoes...very comfortable

But I suppose, I will buy some flat loafer kind of shoes this time.

Heated, Uniform is a tunic and trouser combi...so, that will be sorted It's similar to the Nursing Uniform just different colours !

Monkeytrousers Sun 07-Sep-08 14:00:23

Tme ringfenced for study

A room (or corner if that's not possible) of ones own

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 14:00:36

[dim emoticon] but what is a Xerox machine...is that a vending machine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now