Talk

Advanced search

Doing a degree with small children?

(8 Posts)
colie Sun 07-Sep-08 10:48:04

Has anyone managed this. I am due to go back and complete my first year (in nov) in the Social work degree. 50% of the acedemic year is spent on full time placement.

I am looking for words of wisdom!
Along the lines of "I managed it with 8 under 3"{wink}

My kids are just 6,3 and 8 months.

Advice greatly received!

murphyslaw Mon 08-Sep-08 08:35:31

I am really envious of you!! Go for it!!!

I wanted to go to Uni but I have 3 kids and the hours didnt fit around school times.

I have been studying with the Open University for what seems like an eternity - I have 2 years left to graduate.

I wish you all the luck - you will be fine wink

Wilts Mon 08-Sep-08 09:01:05

I am just about to go into the second year of my social work degree, however my boys aren't as young as your children, they were 4 and 10 when I started.

I didn't have a proper placement as such in my first year but go straight into a four month full-time placement in two weeks.

I have found that it has been hard but more manageable than I thought it would be.

Only time will tell how I cope with being on my placement ( I am very anxious about it).

I think trying to get into some kind of routine is helpful, I am militant about bedtime during term time so I can work in the evening.

I think you will be fine, good luck

Katiekins83 Mon 08-Sep-08 14:51:03

hi! im about to go into my final year of a forensic science and psychology degree. My DS was only 10 months old wheen i returned after taking a a year out to have him, and not miss alll those lovely things that they do in the first year!grin

plus do you have a partner/ family about? if so will he be able to help, then again im a lone parent and i manage fine, although it really helps that family live over the road.

i would advise you to make sure that you are organised, it comes with practice as you will know, i tend to record all lectures and then listen to them on route to the same one a week later, plus i write how many weeks untill assignments etc are due in in my diary so that you know where you are up to.

i think you will be fine tho, including placements. good luck anyway not that you will need it! xx

SmugColditz Mon 08-Sep-08 14:53:10

I am looking to start a Social Work degree in 2009, so will be watching this thread with interest - I will have a 3 year old and a 6 year old.

me23 Mon 08-Sep-08 15:01:50

hi, lots of mothers go back to study as long as you are organized and have good childcare you should be fine. I'm starting a midwifery degree next week. so will be doing shifts in placement hospital too, it will be very hard I'm sure. I just hope I can fit everything in.

mosschops30 Mon 08-Sep-08 15:05:00

You will do just fine smile

I went back to study at 31 with dd who was 9 and ds just 9 months.
I dont have any family support nearby but my childminder was fantastic and I found placements very accommodating to students (i was doing nursing).

Have just qualified with a 2:1 and am now just terrified of working grin

Good luck, have faith in yourself and you can do it

colie Mon 08-Sep-08 21:02:10

Thanks ladies. you's all seem to have so much faith in me. I do have a supportive dh who will watch kids every evening and weekend so as I can study. CAn't afford childcare full time. so will have to give up family time at weekends etc. to study.

I am so panicking now wondering what possessed me to want to do this in the first place. Feeling guilty already about missing out on them in the future.

Mosschops-well done, especially on getting a 2.1 with no family support nearby. I will be delighted just to pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now