Talk

Advanced search

Interview on Monday...

(6 Posts)
HairyToedHobbit Wed 03-Sep-08 20:14:32

Can I join you?

I've applied to do a part-time MA starting end of September and I heard today that I've got an interview on Monday. I finished my degree in 1996, have had an attempt at postgrad study(OU)which ended badly 5 years ago and I'm so scared of messing up again.

The last time I had an interview for an academic course was 16 years ago. I am terrible at job interviews so hoping it will be very different!

Not 100% certain I want to do the course this year as it will be lots of hassle with travel and childcare but part-time will be only one evening a week. The other option (assuming I am offered a place)is to put off until next year and perhaps do it full-time. DH might be doing a different job and we could be living closer by then. DS starts pre-school next September so I would have more spare time too.

So I think it is well worth me going to the interview anyway but anyone got any tips please to get through it?

3andnomore Thu 04-Sep-08 18:18:53

no tips, sorry!
But want to wish you best of luck! Let us know how you are getting on...

also, you could see if you could start part time this year and go fulltime next year....might not be an option, but you never know they might do it!

HairyToedHobbit Fri 05-Sep-08 14:06:56

Thanks 3andnomore.

Got the letter confirming the interview today. They now want the names of two referees on Monday. The application form only requested referees for other courses. As a part-time applicant for this particular course all I had to put was employment details. I have no-one who can give me an academic reference...feel such a failure. Also (actually the worst bit) there is a number to phone if I'm going to be late so they can warn the panel. I totally freeze up in interviews with more than one asking questions, panicking just thinking about it. Probably for the best that I phone and cancelsad.

3andnomore Fri 05-Sep-08 16:47:12

Hairy...oh don't cancel...you can do it....they won't hold it against you if you are nervous...they will understand...

When I looked into my degree course, that I will be starting in a few weeks time, I was adviced to do a course that would prepare me for studying at University level....as my Nursing Training was that long ago.....and I am glad I did that.
If you do that sort of course you will not only get prepared, but you also get someone who than can give you an academic reference.

I did a study skills for academic success course with the Universities Centre for Academic Practice...might be worth looking if your University offers something like that!

HairyToedHobbit Fri 05-Sep-08 22:06:16

Sorry I was so negative lol. Well, I phoned up with the intention of cancelling and told the admissions administrator about the reference problems. She was lovely and gave me the number of the the senior lecturer. He has said he will accept a personal reference plus a letter from my old Uni stating that I was there etc. The panel interview turned out to be a chat with the lecturer, as much for me to find out more about the course as them about me. So all in all I was worrying over nothing and feel silly now blush.

However, the one negative (or maybe not for me)is that the course is newly validated and hasn't been very well publicised. At the moment there have not been enough applicants so it might not run anyway. I have said I will wait until next year now. I have been asked to wait until the start of term is over and phone up for an 'interview' appointment then. Gives me more time to prepare and looks like I have a place for next year if I want it. I am now starting a short course with the OU to get me back into studying a little more gently.

Thanks for hanging in there with me 3and, good luck with your studies smile

3andnomore Fri 05-Sep-08 22:35:42

sounds all good then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now