Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone give me some advice about nursing bursary please! (or studying and maintenance??)

(2 Posts)
lunavix Tue 02-Sep-08 19:51:43

I have tried bringing this up with the people at the bursary place but no help.

I've been awarded my bursary etc already. I know I'll get the child tax credits as not working, housing benefit (of some undetermined as of yet amount as I'm a single parent) no council tax etc etc.

H has offered £300 a month in maintenance and I have some concerns. My bursary is seperated into a few different sections, three of which are income assessed, and I believe one of those areas (childcare) is calculated seperately. I'm really worried it will have a negative impact on the money I have coming in.

If the childcare bursary people see it as an income of £300 a month and make their deductions, then the income assessed part of the bursary people see it as income and make their deductions. Then tax credits see it as income and make theirs, then housing benefit see it as income and make thier deductions...

I'm really worried the result could bring it down more than £300 a month. If it was exactly that amount eg ex gave me 300 and housing benefit took away 300, fine. But with all these different areas assessing it differently, I'm worried I won't know until too late.

Student bursaries have told me they can't make guesses or assumptions or what have you, they will only tell me by me reapplying and declaring it (although incidentally they also told me not to declare it till next academic year which I know will screw me over and they'll claim it all back in the end!)

Council has said the same about housing benefit...

Any clues?

lunavix Tue 02-Sep-08 19:55:55

oh incidentally apparently ex spoke to CSA, who have said they can arrange it so I'm paid 10 a week, and the rest is taken directly off benefit. Sounds odd, and when I asked if I'd still have to claim it as 300 maintenance he got narky and said he had no idea and didnt care

My original idea was he paid it into the kids trust accounts (which we can't touch) while it was all sorted out as he is putting pressure on but he sees this as me committing benefit fraud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now