Advanced search


(8 Posts)
rasgal Sun 31-Aug-08 13:30:54

does anyone have advice on accomodation for student parents??

when I return to university. my baby will be 6 months old and i dont really want to live in a flat by myself. I need the support and reassurance of other people around me.

how has others coped with this?

AvenaLife Sun 31-Aug-08 15:51:20

I was a student when I had ds and I moved in with a friend that I knew from Uni. If this is your first time at Uni then thigs will be a bit different for you. Depending on the Uni, some have family accomodation specifically for families (including single mothers). Halls of residence are not a great idea because you only have one room and they are noisy.

have you contacted the accomodations office to see if they can help? Which uni are you going to?

rasgal Sun 31-Aug-08 19:28:21

Hey AvenaLife,

Thanks 4 replyin

I am going to birmingham city university. I have tried emailing them with no reply as i dont live close so won't have family/friends around me.

their website doesn't say anything about family accomodation but I will try callin...

AvenaLife Sun 31-Aug-08 21:25:14

I'm in derby. They don't have family acommodation either but I've been here so long I've got a house with ds which we have rented for 5 years. I left before having him and went back when he was 3. It was difficult sorting the childcare out though. The other students were great with ds, they would come round and play with him, they would invite us both to BBQ's aswell.

Try phoning them tomorrow and see what they suggest. If you were to get a 3bed house to rent you could always advertise for a lodger so you wouldn't be alone. You would have to really check them out first though. Maybe someone doing early childhood studies (I think they would need a CRB check for the course).

What are you going to study?

rasgal Tue 02-Sep-08 15:25:19

i am goin 2 study business and marketing. just phoned my uni and they said u have to apply reaallly early! like in october for next year...

thanks for your advice

AvenaLife Tue 02-Sep-08 18:07:22

Ohh, that's really annoying! sad What are you going to do now?

rasgal Wed 03-Sep-08 13:18:01

i guess im gna have to defer and try and work for a year...

havnt gt any better ideas.

beansmum Wed 03-Sep-08 13:27:28

That's a shame. Can you really not live by yourself? I would have hated to move in with strangers with a baby although I suppose living with another student parent might have been alright. You could try asking the uni to put you in touch with someone in a similar situation and look for a flat together? I'm going to start uni (second attempt) in feb and was thinking of looking for another single mum to share with, but actually I love living by myself so have decided to just look for a 1-2 bed place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now