Talk

Advanced search

Those of you starting courses this Sept. what are you doing ?

(54 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 14:59:03

I am nosey and possibly looking for inspiration too.

mankymummy Sat 30-Aug-08 14:59:47

BTEC Horticulture. i am sooo excited!

What are you doing / thinking of doing?

IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 15:03:21

smile Good luck

The answer to your question is complicated, but the short version is that I don't know.

IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 15:09:39

Bumping because I know there alots planning to do courses this year.

mankymummy Sat 30-Aug-08 15:11:13

just saw another of your threads where you said you werent going to do a course now... thats a shame. couldnt you decide what you wanted to do?

IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 15:12:33

Yes and no. I do have a place on a childcare course, but am not sure I want it.

Tried to get a place on a dental nursing course but it was full and too far away.

schneebly Sat 30-Aug-08 15:13:04

BA hons Primary Education with QTS (part-time) at Edhe Hill University. grin Bit of a mouthful that!

mankymummy - hope your course goes well! My DH is a Golf Course Manager and an expert in grasses grin

IllegallyBrunette - what are your hobbies/interests?

schneebly Sat 30-Aug-08 15:14:12

x posts sorry!

mankymummy Sat 30-Aug-08 15:19:07

schneebly.... really? i must say when i saw the course content and one section was turf i thought hmm, why ever would you need to know about grass !!!

IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 15:19:11

Ohh yes i read your thread about everything being sorted Schneebly.

Sounds fab grin

Hobbies/Interests - Erm, not really got any tbh. I like watching or reading about anything to do with kids, health etc.

KatyMac Sat 30-Aug-08 15:24:57

I'm undecided too

I'm thinking about systems and change management

IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 15:26:19

Sounds complicated Katy.

It is hard to decide isn't it ? There are so many courses nowadays (blimey how old do i sound)

tiredemma Sat 30-Aug-08 15:28:53

Emma did you get that booklet from sutton college and MB college that came through the doors last week?

anything in there that tickles your fancy

schneebly Sat 30-Aug-08 15:30:32

Manky - ooh yes it is all very scientific the mix of grasses they use for different surfaces on the golf course <<nods off>> Your course will ahve a bit more variety I bet lol

Illegally - what about going into something like working with kids in a health promotion type role - bet there are loads of jobs like that with the growing concerns over childhood obeasity etc (no idea what you would need to do for this)

schneebly Sat 30-Aug-08 15:32:00

I can spell obesity I am just dreadful at typing! blush

KatyMac Sat 30-Aug-08 15:33:05

Narrow down where you want to study - local college/uni/ou

Then get all the course available and put thick black lines through the ones you def don't want

That should cut it down a bit

TheDevilWearsPrimark Sat 30-Aug-08 15:36:05

I am self teaching, with a view to becoming a freelance web developer. I can pay just for the exams I need, so will get all the course material online.

I want to do web design, specifically flash.

I had originally been accepted for a course in Environmental Systems, but decided I couldn't be arsed to commute, and refuse to relocate.

I'm really excited.

KatyMac Sat 30-Aug-08 15:38:21

Ooo what was environmental systems about?

SpandexIsMyEnemy Sat 30-Aug-08 15:41:54

i'm currently doing starting with mathematics, and end of sept am starting 2 courses - open mathematics & using mathematics (I think it is) bit weorried as the books look v in depth!

mines OU. hopefully can transfer to portsmouth uni next sept.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Sat 30-Aug-08 15:43:38

www.reading.ac.uk/Study/courses/research/environmentResearch.asp

I was interested in the subject of urbanization and how it affects the climate and how the land can cope with it.

i.e too many roads, people paving over gardens, filling in rivers etc.

IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 15:45:37

Tiredemma - Yep i got it, thats where I found the Dental Nursing course.

I should perhaps pick something out of hat LOL.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Sat 30-Aug-08 15:47:01

Spandex, maths has always terrified me. I just do't get numbers, especially the philosophy of maths. My friend has a maths degree and he bewilders me when he starts talking about it.

KatyMac Sat 30-Aug-08 15:47:57

Hmm - it's not for me either

IllegallyBrunette Sat 30-Aug-08 15:49:56

I can say with 100% certainty, that I do not want to do a Maths course LOL.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Sat 30-Aug-08 15:50:42

see numbers have always made sense to me, but I took a career brake when I had DS, and basically don't want to go back to my book keeping/accounts/payroll. I know it will be tough but will be worth it. hope to teach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now