Talk

Advanced search

Dictaphone

(9 Posts)
3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 08:05:35

Wold a Dictaphone or some such thing be a good idea to take into Lectures?
Just wondering, as Lidle has one on offer next week....and it wold enable me to listen back to a lecture in peace etc....

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 08:06:36

sorry for the bad spelling, that was Would not Wold and Lidl not Lidle

Pixiefish Sat 23-Aug-08 08:09:32

When I was at Uni there were a couple of peeps with dictaphones and they used to put them on the lecturers podium. Not all the lecturers were happy with this though- suppose there's a data protection issue.

Also to be honest I think itll be a lot of extra work, listening back to the tapes in the evening.

Personally wouldn't bother unless you have a problem writing or something

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 23-Aug-08 08:10:24

I think it would be a good idea, but only as a back up to the notes that you should be taking.

IME if you just sit there and listen, relying on the recording kit to capture everything, you will find that you've actually switched off and you aren't taking any of the information in.

The act of taking notes helps your brain to process the information.

And if you're anything like me you'll never get round to listening to the recording anyway!

So yes, buy one, but use it as a back up.

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 08:17:39

Oh yes, I would definately only use it as back up....I always find, that when I write somehting down (as you do when taking notes) it always seem to stick in my brain better, lol....

Katiekins83 Tue 26-Aug-08 09:33:45

hi! im just going into my final year and I used one in my lectures, most dont mind you using them. i find it a very useful way of adding more to my notes, i also annotate through out, find it helps if i listen to last week lecture or way to this weeks, keeps me up to date and jogs my useless memory! what year are you in? also do you university use blackboard? if so then ask if blackboard notes will be available to you before the lectures so that you can have a read through them and if need be do some reading before class. my tutors are very understanding esp as im a lone parent.

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 10:06:20

katie...haven't even started yet, am starting in September!
But glad it works well for you, and thanks for the tips on Blackboard notes smile

I did buy the Dictaphone a couple of days ago, have not tried it out yet...i.e. how it works...hope it's not complicated...

Katiekins83 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:00:59

hi! id also advice buying a bidirectional mic to go with it...sinply as lecturers tend to move around...a lot if they are anything like mine! hope all goes well for you. what will you be studying?

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 11:05:39

bi-directional microphone....must look what that is...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now